24.0 - how long have you known?

(Filler)

I've never felt so betrayed.

That seemed to be my default emotion. Everything I knew was lies. This all started out in the worst way, so why am I surprised that it's ending that way too?

I had fooled myself into thinking Zayn could change. I knew who he was and I still thought that somewhere along the line I could make him good. Instead, I ended up fucked up. I looked in the mirror and couldn't recognize myself. It went beyond physical changes, I looked into the mirror and saw a person I didn't recognize.

Harry just sat there not knowing what to say. Seeing him was so weird. He looked completely torn apart when his eyes landed on me.

"We gotta go," he says.

I cross my arms, "How do I know I can trust you?"

"Zayn tried to kill me, he ruined my life. Everything I had, he took away. There is no reason for someone else to suffer as I have. I fear you're going to end up dead."

His words sent chills down my spine. Harry walked towards the door and extended his hand towards me, as if offering more to me than a means to escape. I exhaled a deep breath, my hand taking his in agreement. I took my jacket from behind the door, clutching it tight as we exited the room.

Harry led me down the stairs, looking back at me occasionally. The anxiety was tearing me to bits. When we made it to the front door I felt like I could pass out. From my room to the door, it felt like the longest distance. I put my jacket on and I was surprised when Harry put his hoodie over me, but couldn't quite find the words to thank him.

The sky lit up violet as we walked outside, the cold rain pouding down on us almost rhythmically. Harry took my hand and I followed him to the car parked at the end of the curb. There was other cars around, but only one other with a figure in the front seat.

As we neared Harry's car, I saw him nod to the person behind us. He secured me in the front seat and then got in moments later, letting the car behind us get out while he turned on the heater.

"Who is that?"

Harry fumbled with the radio. "Amy, she's helping."

I frowned, not comfortable with the idea of her aiding us at all. I didn't trust her.

"Why?"

"Because she knows that what he's doing is wrong."

He swiftly went in reverse and maneuvered his way out, picking up speed as he made way towards what looked like the highway.

"What did Zayn want with me in the first place, Harry? Why me?"

"He knew about your father and your families fortune. He blindsided a lot of people before."

My heart sank. "Like who?"

Harry cleared his throat, his eyes fixed on the road. "Like his own father, Ana. I'm sure he told you his own version of it, but that's far from what happened."

"What really happened then?"

"His family is rich, not like you, but well off. His father is a doctor and his mother is a teacher..."

What the fuck.

''He told me his father abandoned them, that he owed dangerous people gambling money..."

Harry actually chuckled. "Right, sounds a lot like he was predicting his own future. Zayn owed money to your father, Anastasia."

Everything he's telling me makes sense. It clicks. The way Zayn just took over his businesses, the way he insisted in not speaking about his family...

"But he was going to take me to meet his family, Harry."

"No idea how, they don't speak to him. I grew up with him, Ana. Liam knows about this, Amy, some people in the office as well."

I was in disbelief. Had he ever said anything truthful to me? Had he lied about everything completely?

"Where are you taking me? I just wanna go home."

"To a hotel in DC. Amy will be there with you and I'm gonna go get some stuff for you."