23.0 - an explanation

I could see her figure in the window.
We had come here as soon as we could, my hiding place left a complete mess as I struggled to get all the evidence I needed in order, as well as some clothes, and necessities. I wasn't sure if I'd return and if I didn't, I needed to make sure there was no evidence I was there.

I felt Amy put her hand on my arm. "You need to be careful. The maids are expecting you."

I put my hand over hers. "You hired them?"

She nodded. That made me feel a lot better. I was grateful she had helped me so much, despite her tumultuous past with Zayn. I could only hope Anastasia would be as helpful as Amy had been.

But that was not likely.

Amy gave my arm a squeeze and I took a deep breath. This was my chance to fix it, to tell the entire truth.

Month after month that I had spent getting better, gathering evidence... I had somehow become obsessed. I had grown to like Anastasia from the few times I had seen her, and for some reason couldn't shake her off. I thought about her for a while after we met, but managed to push it to the back of my mind.

As I made my way through the dark path in the rain and to the front door, I realized how crazy this all was and how horribly bad it could go. But I couldn't dwell on it, I had put too much into this to just walk away and let Zayn ruin more people's lives.

The doorbell didnt completely ring. As the third bell was about to chime, the door was opened by a smaller woman. She appeared anxious and I knew why, this was all a big risk.

"Come, we don't want anyone to see you."

I shuffled in, immediately looking towards the staircase for any clues as to where she could be.

"Her room is the first door on your left, she's up. Mr. Malik isn't coming until next Friday, so perhaps you have some time."

Next Friday?

"Where exactly is he?"

She bit her lip. "He's gone to the UK, business arrangements, he said."

I shook my head in disbelief. He had left her here to deal with his own issues.

I thanked her and made my way up the stairs, my legs felt heavy and so did my chest. What would she look like? How would she react? Would I be able to explain or would she shut me out?

No time to think at all. She must have heard my footsteps, for her door simply flung open, and there she stood. Her long hair went down her arms, covering her like a veil. Her eyes, though alarmed to see me, didn't have that fire they possessed when I first saw her. She had changed so much. Anastasia was so thin.

"W-what are you doing here? How did you get in?"

I pushed past her and took the letter from the inside of my coat pocket, setting it on her bed.

"I came to take you some place safe. I didn't do anything wrong, Anastasia."

She doesn't look surprised but her guard is up. "What's that?" She motions at the letter.

"It's a copy of a letter from your father," she gasps softly, "A lot of people didn't want it to get to you, but there it is. Signed and every thing."

She picked it up in her frail hands, eyeing it as if it was an artifact. "Where is the original?"

"Zayn... He destroyed it."

My stomach drops when I see her sniffling, fighting back her own emotions. Ana opens it as if it'll rip and sits on the bed.

Anastasia,

Despite everything, you are my greatest companion. When you were born, I remember you had the biggest eyes I had ever seen, and I cried when I held you for the first time. I know that my days are numbered. A man is after me and my fortune, a fortune that goes back years and years, a fortune that belongs solely to you. This man is a wolf in sheeps clothing. I write this confession to you because I can't bear to disappoint you one more time. I do not know your origins, as your mother did not honor her vows to me. Regardless, you are my child. You need to understand why I have done all I have, even though I could not protect you. I cannot protect you from this man. He is something different, his evil nature is not something I have ever seen in my life. I ask you to please take care of yourself, seek help. I am so sorry for not being the father you deserved, I'm sorry for not being the person you needed to heal. Remember why I called you Anastasia.

Love,
Anthony De'Andrea

There was an unfamiliar feeling between us. Suddenly I saw her entire demeanor change, like something in her had completely changed. Anastasia just stared at the letter as her tears fell, but something about the way she stood so silently made me stay away from her.

"So, he knew?" She chokes on her words, "I can't believe this."

"I know it's not easy to understand.."
She interjects. "So what happened that night?"

"What do you remember?"

"I remember talking to Liam after we got home. Not much else."

It seems logical to blame Liam, I know he's in on it. But I have no proof.

"I didn't do it, Ana. I really didn't."

Ana sniffles. "I don't even know what happened."

I inch closer to her, but still keep myself at a distance. "He's drugging you, you know that. What has he been giving you?"

"Different things. Sometimes four pills at a time. I'm so high sometimes I don't even know what's going on."

She looks up at me with a helplessness I've never seen in anyone before. "What's gonna happen?"

"I'm gonna take you some place safe, I swear. We're gonna get you out of here and deal with Zayn when the time comes."