Chap. 40

*Kylie

"I made this casserole for you."

"He was a good boy."

"It was a beautiful service."

"Asher, was always polite."

"I'm so sorry."

"You need anymore food?"

"So what now?"

Good question.

What are we supposed to do now that Asher is dead?

I don't know.

Bryan doesn't know.

Colton doesn't know.

Jesse doesn't know.

We will never know.

"Kylie," Bryan says, snapping his finger in my face. "It's time to go."

"Can I sit here for five more minutes?" I ask.

"Kylie, I don't have time for this," He sighs.

I didn't want to leave. I liked sitting with him. Asher always listens to me.

"Stop crying and get up!"

"Don't fucking yell at me!" I yell through choked sobs.

"I'm sorry. I just hate coming here."

I glare at him. "How can you hate coming here?!"

"It reminds me of everything bad. I can see his body just...lying there in blood," Bryan mumbles, staring into the distance.

"I'm sorry, Bryan. It's all my fault. If I hadn't le-"

My face is squished between two warm palms. "It wasn't anyone's fault so don't ever think that."

I fix the flowers on both graves and sigh, before walking off with Bryan. My face is soaked with tears and I can't help but cry harder. Asher was buried right beside his mother. It pissed me off that his father didn't come to his funeral but it was expected. I've been here everyday since the funeral and I hadn't seen him once.

"I can't believe it's been a week," I whisper, looking back.

"Nobody can."

"Where's everyone at?" I ask, as Bryan pulls out of the cemetery.

"At the airport."

"Oh," I sigh, tears welling up again.

Colton and Jovie were leaving town for a while. They were heartbroken and just couldn't take staying here anymore. Brittany tried to convince Colton to stay but nothing persuaded him. He's coming back when the baby's born but that's so far from now.

Jovie won't talk to anyone.

Bryan grips my thigh. "Everything's gonna work out just fine, Ky. Don't cry, ok?"

My phone dings in my pocket and it's a text from Jesse.

Wanna get drunk after they leave? -J

I'll ask Bry -K

Ok -J

"Jesse, wants to know if you'd like to get drunk after, Colton leaves? I do, to be honest."