13. thats the high talking

Connor an Evan both heard Cynthia's car pull up in the driveway, but neither wanted to go to the door. Connor was in the same jeans he had been in since he was kicked out, so a solid week had passed before his family finally got to bringing some stuff for him.

Evan was the first to answer the door.
Connor went into the other room, cursing under his breath and squinting his eyes. It was bad enough he had to see Zoe in the hallway, but he couldn't handle seeing everyone at once.

"H-hello, Cynthia," Evan stammered, face to face with the curly haired woman, but behind her was Connor's father. Larry. "Have you two c-come to, uh, drop off Connor's stuff?"

Cynthia nodded.

"Is it possible we can see Connor?" Larry asked, hesitating, hands going up near his torso for a vague hand motion.

"No," Evan cleared his throat. "I-it isn't. H-he n-needs time, he lo-looked-d close to crying when w-we heard the door."

Cynthia placed her hand over her mouth, eyes squinting and a low noise coming from her throat.

She turned to Larry, muttering things. Larry just shook his head.

Cynthia handed his a large box and left for her car, leaving the driveway as quickly as possible.

Evan shut and locked the door.

"They're gone!" Evan shouted.

Connor walked slowly back into the room.

He looked destroyed. Evan even saw the strands of hair wrapped loosely around his fingers, signaling her was ripping his hair out.

"Hate to bring this up," Connor sighed. "But you know the rumors of me being a stoner?"

Evan slowly nodded his head.

"They're true," Connor paused. "And I'm in the middle of a deprivation crisis, and I know if my mom gave me my old hoodie vest there's weed."

Evan nodded, but hesitated before adding, "why do you do drugs?"

Connor paused, like he was thinking it over. He had been a long time addict, using his parents money to buy off of his cheap dealer, and there was no doubt it was laced with even more addictive drugs, but it just made he feel more at ease.

"Makes the pain go away," Connor shrugged. "It's either I smoke pot, ft high and do something stupid, or slit my wrist and cry most times. I'd rather get high."

There was another pause.

"Do you want to try?" Connor asked, a smirk playing at his lips. "I know a place where I went to smoke a lot. Nobody goes there anymore."

"Take me there," Evan demanded, before stuttering out an apology quickly.

"It's a little far, but I know a place we can stay the day, and even night," Connor stated. "Your mom said she was staying in the hospital until 7am, taking on another shift, remember?"

Evan nodded.

"Gives us plenty time," Connor shrugged.

He walked over to the large box, rummaging through it, determined. He finally found it, pulling out the ziplock bag, showing Evan.

Svan's heart skipped a beat.

"Let's go get baked," Connor chuckled coldly, a certain glint in his eyes Evan has never seen.

The whole thing racked Evan's mind. Connor was rumored to be violent when he was high, or just coming down from a high. Evan honestly didn't want to see that happen to Connor. Evan didn't want Connor to smoke in general, but at least he wasn't harming himself.