4. everybody else is an asshole, i guess...

Evan: why are you being so nice to me?

Connor: because

Connor: we're both labeled freaks. Think about it, who else are we going to get?

Evan: so... are we friends?

Connor: I guess

***

Evan walked into school with Jared, who usually gave him rides. Except on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Those days Jared had a free period in the morning, and he usually slept in those days and cut his free period.

"Why are you so close to Murphy, anyway?" Jared asked, a hint of defense hidden under his snarky tone.

"We're friends," Evan said. "He doesn't hurt me."

"He threw a printer at his teacher," Jared laughed. "He abuses every 'friend' he ever had!"

"Is watch how loud you say those things, Kleinman," the familiar, gruff voice growled, startling Jared, "you don't know who's listening, huh?"

"Jesus fucking Christ," Jared exhaled, placing his hand over his heart that jumped.

"Yeah, Jared," Evan mumbled. "Connor's really nice if you get to know him."

"Yeah, so fuck off, Kleinman," Connor scoffed.

Evan shot Connor a look saying back off of him, he's still my friend. He didn't give that look often, he wasn't big on glaring at people in general, but he liked Jared.

"Whatever," Jared scoffed back, turning and leaving quickly, hands plastered to his jeans, pulling up and wiping them before he shoved them in his pockets. It's the little things that show Jared's upset that never get caught. Evan catches on sometimes, but others go unnoticed. It was terribly sad.

Though, Jared was temperamental and kind of an asshole. Well, definitely an asshole, but he was Evan's fr--uh, family friend, so Evan really forgave him almost instantly.

"Why do you put up with him?" Connor asked, crossing his arms against his chest.

"He's my friend," Evan muttered. "Well, family friend. I didn't know that those were different but they are and I guess there's a big difference because he always says family friend."

"If I were you, I'd stick up for myself more often," Connor said with a shrug of his shoulders. "Anyway, you doing anything after school?"

Evan was actually taken aback from that. Connor wanted to hang out? Evan kind of just thought they were going to act like friends to people didn't think that they were loners, but he was reaching out?

"No, why?" Evan asked, thumb scraping into the hem of his shirt, pulling at any loose thread he could find.

"Wanna hang out?" Connor asked, hands slowly inching their way into his jacket pockets. "I heard the new café has good reviews. I don't know if you like coffee or not but we can give it a try. "

"Oh. Oh-of course yeah! That would be great!" Evan stumbled but nodded quickly, arms resting in an awkward bent position, like he was going to do something but forgot. "Yeah that sounds good!"

"Need to like, check with your mom or something?" Connor asked, eyebrow going up.

"Oh, she's working late. Won't be back until midnight," Evan said, slightly choking on his own words. He nodded again quickly and smiled widely.

"Okay, sweet," Connor muttered, mouth immediately growing in a lopsided grin, one hand shooting out to grab the strap of his shoulder bag. "See you after school, we can walk together."

"Sounds great! Uh, yeah bye Connor!"

"Later, Hansen."

--

Sorry if the updates are inconsistent and this chapter is pretty short I didn't want another timeskip oops

Vote and comment if you like it and want to see more!!