38.Patronus

It was a late December evening that Colby found himself wandering towards the library, looking to find a corner to catch up on some extra reading for his Arithmancy exam he knew was coming up in the next few days.

Whilst he didn't particularly want to do revision, he knew that if he failed his OWLs, his parents were not going to be happy. Being a pure-blood from an old family, his life had been very 'traditional' up until he started school, and even though he had been exposed to other children for five years now, his actions were still influenced by the formal way he lived at home.

As he walked along the deserted corridor, he passed a slightly adjacent door leading to a spare classroom, and curiosity peaked his interest as he saw a white light coming from behind it. Craning to look through the open section, he was shocked to see his best friend, a tall Hufflepuff called Sam, with his wand out, producing wisps of bright white light.

Feeling confident, Colby opened the door, shocking his friend, who stepped back slightly and locked eyes with him. Colby felt himself blushing slightly as he stared into the light blue eyes that belonged to his best friend.

It wasn't a secret that the Slytherin had had a crush on the Hufflepuff since the beginning of time. Quite on the contrary, his friends were always teasing him about the fact, and it was a surprise that his crush hadn't figured it out by now.

As their eyes broke, Sam broke out into a wide grin and laughed, the blue light emitted from the flames reflecting on his pale skin. Colby's heart beat a few times faster as he heard his laughter.

"Colby, what are you doing here?" He asked, and Colby shrugged in response.

"I was going to the library to read up on some Arithmancy-"

"Of course-"

"- when I saw light from the classroom opposite and decided to see what was going on!" He finished, ignoring the interruption. More importantly, he continued to ask him the question on the tip of his tongue. "Were you just trying to cast a patronus?"

"Not trying, Colby!" He replied back, cryptically and with a smug grin that grew bigger on his face. "I've been able to produce it three times today, in its full corporal form!"

"Are you being serious? How long have you practiced for?" Colby asked, eyes bulging and mouth wide open. How could Sam produce this charm, one that many adults couldn't produce, when he had barely turned 16!

To tell the full truth, it was something that Colby had been trying to do since the beginning of the year, but something was stopping him from reaching the full form he wanted it to achieve. Sure, he'd been able to produce slight wisps of it, but nothing solid. It... disappointed the Slytherin, very much.

"Only for a few weeks, I just couldn't wait to see which animal it was, and it was surprisingly easy for me to get do when I put effort into it." Sam explained, fiddling with his fringe, which had curled out of place with slight sweat. Colby's eyes followed the movement of his hand.

"Seriously? I've been trying for mont-" Colby exclaimed, before stopping himself, not wanting to admit weakness to his friend. It seemed that Sam had already heard him however, and his grin grew even wider.

"Oh my God, I can finally do a spell that The Great top-of-every-class you-can't-do-better-than-me look-at-me-being-amazing-and-clever-and-cute Colby Brock can't do?"

He cried gleefully, causing Colby to go slightly flustered, both because of how Sam was better than him, but also because of how Sam had described him. Did he say cute or was that just Colby making things up inside his head that he wanted to hear? "And on top of everything, he's been trying for 2 whole months, and I managed to do it in only 2 weeks?"