Chapter Six

• Dedicated to To all of my fans. Love you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Through all of Friday, I still couldn't shake all that had happened the day before.

      Josh Ciro had kissed me.

      Eden liked Josh.

      It looked like Josh liked her too.

      Spencer and I were beyond confused.

       The fact that my best friend actually didn't care that I hated Spencer and decided it was okay to like his best friend, who I automatically hated as well, kinda pissed me off. I mean, seriously. If the roles were reversed, if Eden and Josh hated each other and Spencer and I were their best friends, we would hate each other, too. Right? So how come Eden thought I was okay with this?

     After her and Josh's little drooling session, she would not stop talking about him. How his shaggy brown hair reminded her of chocolate. Or how she would totally check out Pink Floyd, since Josh was wearing their shirt. And that his smile made her insides turn to goo.

    Blech.

   "Omigod. What if he calls me right now?" Eden asked me as we walked into school.

    "Why would he?" I asked. "He's going to see you today, anyways."

     "Do I look okay?" she asked. Her billowy blue top and golden belt around her waist made her seem thinner, and her eyes popped. Dark-wash flare jeans made her butt look good, and her golden pumps looked like they would give her blisters, but added a few inches. Overall, she looked awesome.

     "You look totally hot," I said. "He'll just die when he sees you."

     "He he, thanks." Eden giggled. "You don't look too bad yourself. Spencer will die when he sees you."

      I was wearing my favorite yellow super-skinny jeans, a black crop top with LOVE on the chest, a red tank underneath, and moccasin slip-on flats. I was going to---

     Wait.

    What?

     "Excuse me?" I said, stopping. I looked at her. "What did you just say?"

      "Spencer will die when he sees you," Eden replied, as if she just said Isn't the weather nice today?

      "Wha-why-I-huh, what?" I took a deep breath. "Why would Spencer die?"

      "Uh, cos you look hot?" She laughed. "Just because you guys hate each other doesn't mean he isn't attracted to you. And vice versa."

       Vice versa...I thought.

       What did---

       No.

      "Are you high or something?" I shook my head. "No, no no no no. I am not attracted to Spencer Katz. He's too, ugh. Just, no. Not -- no. Uh-uh. Gross. Ew."

     "Please, Ames. It is so obvious." She touched my arm. "How long are you guys actually going to keep pretending? Hating each other is so a million years ago. We're almost seniors, babe. Time to move on."

     "Look, Eden. I know you like Josh and you want me and Spencer to get along, but that will never happen. It's just natural. We were born to hate each other."

     She shook her head. "I don't buy it. Mark my words, Amy-bear. Someday, you'll look back and think, Wow. Eden is a genius. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not five years from now. But one day, you'll realize that I was right all along. You and Spencer,"--- she gestured to down the hall, where Spencer was talking on his cell phone, leaning against my locker---"Well, just wait. It'll happen. I know it will."