Chapter Four

*UPDATE**

----You might have noticed in the cast I added Chris Massoglia to play Josh Ciro, Spencer's best friend. He didn't really have a part in the second chapter, but I realized he was actually going to have a fairly big role, so I included him.----

******************************************

Okay, so its been forever since I uploaded (please don't hurt me), but I've been writing some drafts for books that will be coming out in the summer : ) and a poem or two that I'll be uploading soon. Hopefully you'll enjoy and thanks to the people reading this and saying nice things about it.

Love you! xD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

September 12th is when it happened.

   You know, the thing that completely ruined my life.

   I was driving to the city with my mom. It was one of those rare days we had together, alone, not having to worry about Regina getting lost or when my older siblings, Mallory and Christofer, were coming to visit. Just a beautiful day with my mother, some quality time we hadn't been able to have for a while.

   Who'd of known it would probably be our last.

   It was during rush hour, and that time in the city was deadly. Cars were driving five miles over the speed limit, which didn't seem like much if the speed limit was, like, 30 MPH. It was different when the limit was seventy.

   My mom tried to get my attention, trying to keep my eyes on the road, but I'd just gotten an iTouch and was obsessed with it. I glanced up occasionally, not really paying the road any attention.

  If only I had. If I would of listened to my mom, none of this would of happened. None.

  The next events happened so quickly.

  My mom was threatening to take my iTouch back and not let me have it ever again, I was trying to text Eden, Mandy and Lena about which movie we should see Saturday, and yelling at my mom saying that I was paying attention, just not as much as I should.

  Then my mother screamed.

  That's when the semi crashed into us, on Mom's side.

  I remember screaming the most. There was shattered glass, I know that for sure. A lot of honking and cars stopping. But the screaming was unending. Not just from me though, or my mom. But from passerby. Strangers, who'd I'd never met before, screaming for 911.

   Then the car stopped screeching on its side and we just lay there. The car had completely flipped over on my side, and Mom was only staying in her seat because of the seat belt; if it weren't for that, she'd of fell on me. I couldn't move, couldn't breathe.

   Suddenly, it was dead silence. I turned my head as much as I could, agony ripping through my neck, at my mother. Her head was to the side at an angle I never thought possible, and she was limp. Her eyes were closed and she wasn't moving.

    "Mom?" I'd whispered, a tear slipping down my face. "Mommy?" I said louder. She did nothing. You know how sometimes when something happens and you're heart is beating so fast it literally feels like it's about to come right out of your chest? Well, that was me times ten. My heart was beating so hard I could hear it in my ears. "Mom!" My scream was hoarse, but loud enough that a shattered piece of glass fell from what was left of the windshield.

   People outside the car must've heard, too, because that's when commotion stepped in, and the ear-splitting silence ended. "Oh my god, there's a child in there!", "Someone get her out!", "Call an ambulance! There's a little girl in there!" were among the many things a heard. 

    Before I knew what was happening, I heard a siren. It got so loud I wished for the silence back. All of a sudden, the car began to shake. There were people on my side of the car, literally breaking the car in half. The chainsaw-like sounds stopped, but there was more talking. Yelling, actually. Men yelling for things I couldn't understand because I started to see little black dots and everything began to fade, until it all went dark.

     I'd woken up several hours later, in a hospital room. The doctors told me a had a broken arm, fractured ankle, broken collar bone, and I had numerous bruises and cuts all over my body. When I'd asked them about my mother, the doctor looked down, so sad. I heard a sniffle to my left, but when I turned my head it hurt too bad. I forced myself to look, and there stood my father. A fifty-one-year-old man crying. Regina and Christofer where there, too. Christofer didn't say anything, but his eyes were bloodshot. Reggie was sitting, squeezing the life out of a teddy bear. My sister Mallory was with my mom, my dad informed me after noticing my confused stare.

    "I'm very sorry," the doctor, Dr. Yuslee, had told me. "She's in a very bad condition."

   My mother's neck had broken, her brain was bleeding,  her spine had been torn up, and both her legs were broken. She was on a life support system, and the doctor said that she is extremely lucky to be alive. If it weren't for the airbag, they would've had to scrape her off the street.

   "She's going to live," Dr. Yuslee told me. "But she will be hospitalized for a long time."

   What he didn't say was she'll be hospitalized for the rest of her life. That she will never move, never walk, never do anything every again.

   And it was all my fault.

   I was in St. Luke's for three weeks. My mother was transferred to St. John's, a hospital for the people who won't be healed any time soon. There were cancer patients there. Mom's situation was as bad as cancer. Worse, maybe, because at least some of the cancer patients could walk.

    Devon had asked where I'd been, what was up with me. I told him a close relative had died, and that I needed a little space. He said he understood completely, that I could take all the time that I wanted. That was a time when I thought he was actually there for me.

    Eden had visited every single day, promising that she wouldn't tell a soul, not unless I wanted her to. I'd asked to see my mother once, but the nurse said that's probably not a good idea. Eden took care of that problem, telling her that she needs to shut her mouth and let me effing see my mom (her words). 

    What a mistake that was.

    My mom was so beautiful pre-accident. She had long, curly brown hair and such a sweet, loving face. Whoever was in that hospital bed couldn't of been my mom. My mother didn't have scrapes and bruises all over her face. She didn't have countless tubes going into her mouth and nose and wasn't living off a life support system! Her once-gorgeous hair wasn't chopped up to put staples in her head. But it was all there.

    That is what I'd done.

   And I could never, ever, take it back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know, super short. This was more of a filler chapter because I wanted to explain Amelia's mom's situation but wanted to have the next scene in a new chapter. I promise that chapter 5 will have a bunch of Amelia-Spencer bickering, which my friends seem to like. I hope to have 5 uploaded next week.

I've already mentioned this, but once again thank you so much to the people who are reading this and saying such sweet things about EWB. It mean the world to me!

Love you!