17| Suspend

I sipped the hot liquid and savored the slightly bitter taste of the black coffee

I sipped the hot liquid and savored the slightly bitter taste of the black coffee. If I was a smarter man, I would have selected something more potent. Hell, perhaps not even the strongest of liquors could drown Alexander's and Matias incessant bickering.

Being the most senior corporate officer to my own company is an honor— truly fortunate to have garnered such success. I would never forget where I started, a small office in the worst part of the city with one employee, Alexander. But, reminiscing on my journey couldn't repress that at this moment I felt like a glorified babysitter.

These men loved to indulge in pissing contests without reason, both determined to have the last word. We could not have a simple discussion without it ending in them alternating insults. The early hours of the morning wasted on petty arguments, instead of focusing on the dilemma we faced with the informant.

Swiveling my office chair, I looked at the view of the city trying to ignore them as best as I could. My weekend, unfortunately, was no more joyous than today—consisting of overlooking years of data and Intel trying to find any connection between Scarlett and Cain.

Thomas's motives were easy to discern, completely superficial, a wounded animal led by blind ambitions. All clear to me due to his immature attempts at Edison's company to get under my skin. He must have noticed the marks I left on Scarlett's neck and like the insecure man he is, pulled her closer. Expecting me to react as he would and pouting like a child when I didn't.

Men like him, hide behind their huge egos masking the insecurities and weaknesses they felt within. Overpowering people by coercion and violence to feel in control. Except, any control they acquired was artificial, coercion invaliding any authority.

If force is exigent to their ploy in power and dominance, they were never in control in the first place. To attain unfeigned control is to dominate the mind, the subject bending to your will and submitting to you willingly. Thomas thrived on the need for artificial control and because of that, it made him reactive and explosive to any trivial adversity.

My father had a history with Cain and warned me when I entered this industry about the type of man he was. Cain was a different animal mechanized by greed and power. Boundary not even existing in laws of this country could halt this man from procuring what he wanted.

That's why finding a connection was crucial to determine if Thomas was acting alone or If it was a collaborative effort between father and son. If Cain was involved, his motives would vastly differ from those of his son's. Doubtful that He would waste his time If Scarlett didn't hold something of value to him. Indisputably if she did he would make it his mission to silence her. Although different motives between the two, it didn't matter. Each man would meet their match with me.

"Are you listening to me?" Matias growled as he slammed a handful of files on my desk. I pivoted my chair and met his squinted hazel eyes. "I knew anyone having connections with that Hijo de puta was bad news. Didn't I tell you, brother? The same damn day you text me that there's an informant. Chingada Madre, I have better shit to do like fück my fiancée, take care of our headquarters back in Europe. Anything but this shit."