19 | Anticipate

Hesitation was my worst enemy

Hesitation was my worst enemy. Five seconds could be the difference between life and death. Every ticking second counted. Hesitation could be deadly or could save you from catastrophe. Those exact reasons were why I had stared at my computer screen for ten minutes. My fingers slid across the keyboard going back and forth between escape and enter.

There was a difference between talk and action. Like the wise saying stated, talk is cheap. Action required doing something to achieve an aim. For me, action meant hitting the send button. On that note, I put an end to my hesitation. I hit enter and with it sealed the start of my preface.

Natalia stumbled into my bedroom, bringing my attention to her as she jumped up and down attempting to slide the tight leather material over her thighs. "Shit, you're not dressed? We are already late."

I sent her an apologetic look and closed my laptop. Scowling at the price, I ripped the tag on the elegant dress. The price wasn't the issue here, I could afford the expense. It's what the price reminded me of. A number followed by six zeros— the cost of nulling my contract.

That, I couldn't afford.

A glance in my direction was all the evidence Elias required to conclude I needed more time to think things over. I practically stomped out of his office without saying a word. It annoyed me that he made such conclusion for me even though, he was right. He had asked me a million-dollar question. I didn't know that then. No, it was not until I made it home and rummaged through my room that I saw said number. I nearly dropped to my knees.

Displeasure coursed through as I recollected him nonchalantly stating he would pay it. He made it seem as if we were discussing a parking ticket. He couldn't answer a simple question yet, without a second thought would offer to fork up the cash to fulfill my wishes. Hell, maybe he wanted me gone. Maybe, I was more trouble than he bargained for.

I could harp on about my transgressions. Or about the fact I found myself in the same situation I swore would never happen again. But, I wouldn't. There was no point. Feeling sorry for myself wouldn't fix my problems. Time was of the essence. I needed to lick my wounds, put on my big girl panties and keep it moving.

That's what I had done.

It had been four days since Elias's doomed ultimatum. I've yet to give him an answer and purposely ignored all his calls. I had no rush to respond and every intention in my bones to let him sweat it.

"You okay there, love?" Natalia asked raising her eyebrows.

I smiled and nodded. She had been stressed over tonight's event from when she arrived three days ago. No need to burden her with my issues. Her employer was branching off from New York to the California region. Conveniently in sync, when I needed to sell the appearance of a social life. Her companies celebratory launch party was exclusive, only high-level executives and influencers were invited.