15.1| Code

{PART ONE}

{PART ONE}

I swung the door open to my penthouse and was greeted with the silence of the chilled air. The placidity of my home gave me solace as I walked upstairs to my bedroom.

My bedding was still neatly made, with each piece of industrial-style furniture without a speck of dust. Everything was in its desired location, exactly how I had left it two nights ago. The only thing that stood out of place was the Polaroid photo that leaned against the metal lamp.

I flicked on the light and picked up the faded white bordered vintage print. Sitting on the edge of the mattress, I reminisced on one of the most unforeseen moments of my life.

Scarlett didn't intend to kiss me, to be perfectly honest I had no idea what her intentions were when she settled herself on my lap. The gesture was bold, in the midst of varying individuals who were enjoying their favorite Italian dish. I ceased to care, we could have been in a stadium and I would still revel in her being on my lap. It was a memorable moment, but every moment with her was.

Setting the photo back against the metal lamp, I gently pulled the knot on my tie side to side. Unfastening and unbuttoning with haste until I was left in my briefs.

I laid my back on the mattress and stared at the blades of the fan that rotated in a clockwise direction. Exhaustion didn't even begin to describe how I felt. Nonetheless, after the day I had, a workout was needed to release the pent-up frustration that accumulated in my chest.

Fighting against the pull of gravity, I reluctantly sat up and got dressed in workout attire. Before I made it back downstairs, I adjusted the thermostat to 70 degrees.

The chemical-like odor of the newly installed black rubber tile overpowered the air in my in-home gym. Ignoring the stench, I stepped onto the treadmill and slipped in my headphones. I set the speed to a medium intensity and felt the steady thumps of my footsteps tremble in my chest. The thundering melodic and rhythmic music blasting through my eardrums did nothing to drown my thoughts.

In spite of everything, Scarlett stayed at the forefront of my mind like a permanent fixture.

They say actions speak louder than words, in my situation that couldn't be more than the truth. I had told myself to stay away and yet instead I kissed her? Frustration mixed in with the sexual tension from the night before was a deadly combination. Public sex wasn't my thing but I would have gladly fücked her in that elevator.

The scene of when I hired her played in my mind like a record. Over and over.

Are you afraid that I will kiss you again? Because I can assure you I won't.

That was my intention. I was a man of my word. When I first saw her walk into my office it was bittersweet. I had beat myself up for not getting her number that night, then to have her walk into my office two weeks later... I didn't know if it was fate or a mere coincidence.