08| Grip

Sweat trickled down my back as I pushed the shovel into the hard dirt, my knees scraped against the brick with each move

Sweat trickled down my back as I pushed the shovel into the hard dirt, my knees scraped against the brick with each move. I had spent all morning removing weeds from the flower beds my hands were riddled with cuts and scrapes. 

Why did I decide to plant rose bushes on the hottest day in California? Also, why did I not wear gloves? It was an amateur move on my part. In my defense, it's not like I had planned to garden on my day off. I just wanted to shut my brain off for the moment and this seemed like the perfect diversion.

Plus, I was really tired of seeing the front yard look like an abandoned horror house. I knew if my mom were alive she'd be livid to see it this way. Apparently, my neighbors were not fans either as they left a very 'kind' letter from the HOA warning us to take care of it or else.

I grabbed the small white rose bush and placed it in the recently dug up hole. I patted the dirt around it and stood two steps back. It was perfect, I imagined how the six small rose bushes would grow wildly with time. Just like I would, hopefully.

Keeping it as professional with Elias was harder than I thought. Fate, destiny or whatever had other plans. He was such a gentleman, nice, chivalrous... I almost pissed my pants when I opened the door and saw him with two dozen red roses. I had never received two dozen of anything my entire life.

The roses weren't the only thing that left me speechless. He looked dapper in his suit, paired with his woodsy cologne, I was left swooning like a school girl.

I saw a glimpse of something other than just the corporate businessman. He was empathetic, seeming genuinely concerned when he saw me crying. I was embarrassed that I had let my guard down. I expected him to be unreceptive and awkward to my emotions but he wasn't. He just tried to comfort me.

Why was he so caring anyway? Did he do this with every woman? I'm sure he had a Ph.D. at wooing women's panties off. It was sort of impossible to rein in on my raging hormones for the man when he was so thoughtful and nice with everything that had to do with me.

My hair swooshed as a car sped into the driveway. Could it be Elias? My heart thumped in my chest. Wait why would he be here? My body turned to see and my heart was now stuck in my throat.

It was Thomas's Audi.

Without hesitation, I ran as fast as my little legs could to the front entrance but I was too slow. Thomas firmly gripped my arm stopping me completely in my tracks.

His eyes narrowed on me as he let go of my arm. "Scarlett, you aren't going to run from me."

I felt tears forming in my eyes and blinked them back into my sockets, there's no way I would give him the satisfaction.

"Thomas, what the fück are you doing here? You know what, I don't even care, please do yourself a favor and leave." My voice seethed with rage.

"I've been texting and calling non-stop," his voiced cracked. "I've been out of the country and as soon as I landed I came to find you."

He brushed his hand over my face "I miss you, please let me explain." He stared me down with his restless blue eyes. Thomas reeked of alcohol his black button up shirt was completely wrinkled, his light brown hair disheveled. He looked as if he hadn't shaven since I last saw him.