Chapter 2

Wow, ok. Somebody actually read this. You few make my heart soar! Here's another update ;)))
- Trina

**************months later**************

"Johnny I'm telling you. Trading out this disgusting butter with coconut oil is better for your health! You are already halfway in the grave old man!!!" I yell as I move around his kitchen, cooking us dinner as I have been almost every night since I've moved in across the street. Yeah we had an unusual meeting and sorta started off on the wrong foot, but after one very stubborn week we made amends and started off fresh. "Kid, eating healthy now is not gonna change when I die." He replied. "Yeah but it will make you feel better." Then as an after thought, I quietly added, "It will make me feel better knowing that you're not going to be in pain when you go...." I've grown to think of him as a sorta friend of sorts. He's pretty much the only person I've talked to since being here, and I can't bare to see him in pain.

I slowly walked towards him and set the food on the table. Then I took my seat across from him. "Oh hush up Emerson, I'm not dead yet." He spoke lowly, "Anyways, Billy Black wanted me to ask you to come around to the reservation and help him out around the house every once in a while. You know, with woman's stuff and what not." "Why would he need my help?" I asked. Can't anyone around this town do anything by themselves? And why me? All I have going for me is my ok-ish cooking skills. "Well..." he spoke, then looked around like the answer would pop out of his dirtied kitchen...what is he up to, he's got a twinkle in his eyes and it's making me realll nervous. "He needs a woman skills and most of them on the reservation are busy mothers or too young." He concluded. "Well I guess I can help him out. It's better than cleaning my house for the 20th time or hanging out with your crusty ass." I say with a smirk. He looked at me with a glare, then spoke. "I would reach over and strangle you but damn, your cooking is better than my ma's so I'm just going to shut up and eat." I look at him with surprise. "You better shut your mouth Johnny or your momma is going to dig out of her grave and whoop you!" I say wide eyed. As I stared eating I heard him grumble, "Wouldn't be the first time."

A few weeks later I get a call from Billy asking me to come to the Res. Not knowing what the hell I was going to be doing, I just dressed in a big sea blue flannel, with a light grey shirt underneath, black skinny jeans, and my old warn out black chuck Taylor's. The Heater broke in my truck and it's already close to winter so I was freezing my butt off on the short drive there. I finally arrive at the Black residence, and step out into the muddy earth. As I walk towards the door I wrap my flannel closer around me in hopes of keeping me warm against the biting cold. I haven't been able to find a jacket I like enough to get. I didn't bring one with me during the move because it never got this cold in Texas, so I never had an actual winter jacket. I get knocked out of my thoughts by a person. Quite literally I might add, somebody just ran right into me! I'm about to hit the ground right as a pair of warm arms reach out and and catch me. I look up and see Billy's kid, Jacob Black. (Lol you losers thought this was going to be Sam. GOTCHA!)

"Woah, miss!" He said laughing slightly. "Almost smushed you there, watch where you're going next time!" I quickly pushed him away from my body and sent him a glare. I spoke quickly, "First off don't call me miss I'm like 3 years older than you not some old hag, and second, bite me." I growled as I stalked towards the now open door and laughing Billy sitting in his wheel chair. As I got closer to Billy my scowl dropped and it exchanged for a uneasy frown. "Was that too mean? I'm so sorry it's a defense mechanism, I don't mean to be, well mean. It just sort of comes out that way, ahh Billy what's his favorite dessert? Let me bake him something to apologi-" I get cut off by a arm being slung around my shoulders and a laughing Jacob. I immediately tense up, never really liking being touched. He notices and quickly removes his arm. "Don't worry about it sweet sweet Emmy, and, a pecan pie will do just fine." He says while smirking at me. I cast my eyes down and scuff over and inside the house while muttering sorry. When did I become such a jackass?

I shut the door behind me and walk into the kitchen where Billy sits waiting. "Well that was certainly entertaining!" He laughs heartily, "Now, Emerson. All I need you to do for today is sew up some of me and Jake's worn clothes, help me sweep the kitchen, and maybe start on Jakes pie." I glance around his small house and nod to both him and myself. I quickly mend what few clothes Billy had laid out for me then put the pie I had made earlier into the oven to bake. I had just grabbed the broom and for the first time in the hours I'd been there Billy spoke again. "Could...." he started. Then stopped and looked conflicted with himself, then started again. "Could you sing while you sweep? My wife used to do it while she cleaned, it's, it's just been so long since someone has done it in this house." I put the broom in one hand and the other sat on my hip. I then spoke, "Look Billy, I'm not your wife, or your daughter, or even related to you, it's not going to be the same with me singing. I'm not good at it anyhow." I looked over towards him and saw the face of a broken, sad man. Dear God help me "Alright. Just give me a minute to think of one." I said. Once I got one I silently started.

"When it feels like surgery
And it burns like third degree
And you wonder what is it worth?
When your insides breaking in
And you feel that ache again
And you wonder
What's giving birth?

If you could let the pain of the past go
Of your soul
None of this is in your control

If you could only let your guard down
You could learn to trust me somehow
I swear, that I won't let you go
If you could only let go your doubts
If you could just believe in me now
I swear, that I won't let you go
I won't let you go

When your fear is currency
And you feel that urgency
You want peace but there's war in your head
Maybe that's where life is born
When our façades are torn
Pain gives birth to the promise ahead

If you could let the pain of the past go
Of your soul
None of this is in your control

If you could only let your guard down
If you could learn to trust me somehow
I swear, that I won't let you go
If you could only let go your doubts
If you could just believe in me now
I swear, that I won't let you go

If you could only let your guard down
If you could learn to trust me somehow
I swear, that I won't let you go
If you could only let go your doubts
If you could just believe in me now
I swear, that I won't let you go

There ain't no darkness strong enough that could tear you out from my heart
There ain't no strength that's strong enough that could tear this love apart
Never gonna let you go."

Just as I ended I had taken the finished pie out of the oven and set it in the stove top. I turned around to see a watery eyed Billy who then gave me a small nod then wheeled away. A few minutes later after I was finishing up he wheeled back out and spoke. "Best take that pie to Jacob, he's down at Sam Uleys house with a few other boys. I'm sure he'll want it now while it's still good and hot. He's just down the road on the left. Should have his motor bike out front." I looked at him confused as to why he wants me to go to a strangers house. Weird, he's got the same look Johnny had earlier this week. What are these men up to? "Alright I guess I'll see you later then Billy." I reached over and gave him a small wack on the back of his hat and walked out towards my truck with the warm pie in my hands. Well, here goes nothing Em.

Yay!! Another update :)) Also, the song above is "won't let you go" by switchfoot!  next chapter a little someone will be meeting a brooding alpha *sighs dreamily* thanks guys
-Trina