Chapter 41

Skye

"Max..." I started to say, but stopped when I saw his eyes tear up.

"It's okay. I'm fine." Max's voice cracked. "Just... Let me be."

"Max - I didn't know-"

"Of course you didn't know!" Max raged.

"Max, can we talk outside."

"Why? Because you don't want to embarrass me again in front of your friends."

"Their your friends too! And I don't want to embarrass you! I just want to talk."

"You... you will never understand."

I laughed. "No, no, no - You don't get to say that. When your boyfriend cheats on you then makes all your old friends hate you  — you can't say that."

"And why not? Why can't I?"

"Because of course I understand! The love of my life tore me apart and everyone abandoned me! This is why I got pushed off a building, Max! Because of this - this whole stupid thing. And you; you think I don't understand. Then enlighten me! Tell me why I don't understand! Go on! TELL ME! Tell me that my crush doesn't like me back, tell me that my brother hates me, tell me, tell me that the days I spent in the hospital, dying, meant nothing. Because you knew I would wake up! Like, throw science out the window - this dude believes!"

"Skye," Zoe began to say.

"No!" I erupted. "That's not my name."

Everyone looked at me, shocked. 

"I... I'm leaving. Thank you, Zoe, for everything. I love you guys, but I can't deal with this." 

I slipped my shoes on and walked towards the door.

"Wait!"

I turned me head to see Max looking at me.

"Then what's your name?"

I paused. I looked at everyone staring at me with interest.

"My name is none of your business, Max. So keep it out of your mouth."

And with that, I left.