33~ Breathless

Five days, that's how long I had to get used to the idea of everyone I knew knowing that I was gay

Was it a comfortable experience, no; did I regret it, also no.

But, how was I supposed to deal with news like that? All throughout high school and college I had gone through like I was just like any other student. I repressed these feelings I had when I was little. Now here I was telling everyone I knew that I was getting married to a man, by choice. In exactly a week from now I'd be at my own engagement party. I couldn't picture it.

I can't of course deny the fear that was building up inside me; I was strangely calm but still I was afraid. Afraid of what might happen after I made this commitment. I may have commitment issues, I know that. It was one of the reasons why my previous relationships didn't really work out.

I feared marriage itself, not marrying him. I love him and I now know that I want to be with him. No, I need to be with him. But the question of whether I was ready to marry him just kept picking at me. Maybe this is what they called 'cold feet' but no... I will not back away from it, I didn't want to. I will marry him, not because it's arranged, not because of the money, I will marry him because I loved him.

Because I want him to be mine, and only mine.

The image of his smile flashed into my head and the presence of his kiss came again. Tracing my lips with my fingers I smiled unknowingly. Just the thought of him, just those mental images were enough to send my mind into a spiral of uncontrollable thoughts that were new to me. They were strong enough to make my heart race.

I stared out through the large windows, and outside in the large garden that I had never bothered to wonder was a white event tent. The flaps swayed in the wild wind while the sun shone like it was just another summer day. I couldn't comprehend that this was really happening. That I was getting married.

I told myself of this reality but no matter how much I told myself it all felt all too surreal. I knew why it felt that way. It was because I never thought that something like this would ever happen. It didn't necessarily feel wrong, strange perhaps but not wrong. The men outside went in and out from the tent taking chairs and tables and decorative items.

A week..

I took a step outside and despite the sun shining it was still mildly cold, leaving an essence of Autumn. I didn't know people got married in Autumn, but I couldn't complain it was one of my favourite seasons. The colour change of the trees was indeed an magnificent view, I always even as a child like to stare the Autumn trees and watch the sway in the cool wind.

"Exited?" said a voice from my left, I jumped at the unsuspected voice. My nerves settled when I saw Haden's mother standing beside me. When had she gotten here? She somehow looked different today her hair was blonde and her face youthful.

I smiled at her. Yes I was excited amongst other things, but I didn't want to seem like a fool in front of my mother-in-law.

"Mrs. Smith, what are you doing here?" I asked. It wasn't meant to sound rude or anything of the kind.