2~ The Other Brother Is Better

~Two Days Later~

It was not supposed to happen like this. I was supposed to tell my parents that I couldn't go through with this marriage and he was supposed to do the same. Then our parents were supposed to forget about this and let us be. Everything was supposed to be okay!

So why wasn't it?

Because it hadn't gone as planned, that's why. As soon as I told my parents that I couldn't accept this ridiculous proposal, they told me that the decision had already been made, and now I had to go through with this. This was just ridiculous.

So ridiculous that it had to be illegal. Somehow.

I raised my head slowly and looked at Haden, my future... husband?

He did not look happy. From what I gathered, he was never happy. The last time we met, things didn't go so smoothly. It was my fault, they said. But he just got on my nerves. His cocky and high almighty attitude made me want to strangle him, or myself.

I watched as he took a sip of his steaming cup of coffee while staring at me as if I had doomed him to an eternity in hell. If anything it was going to be the other way around. I looked away without meeting his gaze. Was it possible to absolutely dislike someone but also find them attractive?

"Derek, you don't know Haden very well." I head Haden's mother say as if I wasn't already aware of this fact, "Why don't you live here. With him." She said as if it was the simplest thing in the world, and when I heard her words I almost choked on my food.

"What?" I was in shock. "Live here, with him?" I asked, clearing my throat. What has my life come to, a series of unfortunate events? Was it not enough that my family lost its millions; did I have to be given away like the common whore?

"Well, why shouldn't you?" It isn't that simple, "Since you're going to marry into this family we would like to know you better. I'm sure Haden darling is thinking the same. So what do you say?" She asked, staring at me with twinkling eyes. Though I knew that she was concealing her underlining intentions from me I couldn't bring myself to despise her. I despised my family if anything; after all they were the ones that put me in this position.

I shifted my gaze over to Haden. He was smirking. The basted. He was enjoying this.

"Of course he will, Mother," he interjected.

What was he planning? Was he planning on making me look bad in front of his parents, or making himself look like the nice guy? Shit-head. He was far from nice.

Well, two can play that game.

"Mrs. Parker," I smiled like I really meant it. The kind of smile that made age lines appear and eyes twinkle, "I would love to come and live here," I said, shooting a mocking look at Haden.

Haden's expression changed, the smirk vanished; he stood up from the dining table, grabbed his coat, "I have to go to work," he said, then exited the room. Shit-head.

A grin stretched across my face and I couldn't hide it. It felt nice knowing that I had gotten under his skin.

It's been a week since the lunch at Haden's house, or mansion, as like I to call it. It took me a week to realize that my rebellion wasn't well-founded or long sighted. All I had managed to do was quicken the progress of this twisted situation. I ended up having to go through with moving into the house. By the time I had moved most of the things I would need it was around 8pm on a Sunday. I had tried to prolong it to the best of my abilities. But there was only so much I could do.

I was sitting on my new bed in silence when the bedroom door suddenly swung open, making me jump. It was Haden. He'd just barged into my room as if it belonged to him. I suppose, in a way it did. But this was my space now; not his.