28 ~ The Lies We Tell

|PLEASE CLICK THE STAR ICON AND VOTE FOR THIS CHAPTER|

Ash POV

One Week Later

The room was silent; it was unbearable and gut retching. It was worse because Haden was sat in front of me. I kept my head down in an attempt to avoid his gaze. My mother, who was innocently sitting beside us, had no idea of what had transpired. She did not know how I had tried to sabotage the engagement and take over our legacy. Sooner or later she was going to find out. I looked at her from the corner of my eye. She seemed confused at the tense atmosphere, but didn't say anything. Haden did not seem interested in telling our mother anything and that worked in my favour.

Haden looked up, his glare fell on me for a moment. A chill ran through me.

"There is nothing you could tell me that would make me change my mind." Haden finally spoke, emphasising each word.

"Haden Darling. I just don't understand why you would call off the engagement so suddenly." Our mother spoke softly, I could sense frustration and disappointment in her voice but she did a fantastic job of covering it up. My eyes followed my mother's gaze and I reluctantly looked at Haden. He shifted in his seat.

"I don't believe that we are right for each other." He said coldly. "You knew that I was not interested in marriage. But I went along with it for your sake."

"But honey, the invitations for your engagement party has already been sent we just can't cancel it a month before the official announcement. What might people think!"

"I will not marry him. I don't care about the consequences. I can't do this."

"Haden, I don't understand." She paused, "we chose Derek specifically because we knew how much you liked him, and how compatible the two of you were." My whole body stiffened. Oh no. Haden had no idea that I was the one who suggested that we accept Derek's parent's proposal and choose Derek. He didn't know about my involvement in any of this. I was the one who told them about a past that made them decide on the boy.

Haden narrowed his eyes at me. The hairs on my body stood on my skin. This couldn't be good.

"What do you mean.." He spoke through his teeth.

"Well, Ash said you used to like this boy back in high school and we were under the impression that you would be thrilled to get the chance to see him again...but of cause your father and I didn't think that this arrangement with this man would be appropriate for our family, but your brother insisted."

"Did he now?" Haden muttered, it was almost a growl. His eyes focused on me.

"and considering you've been declining every other offer, we didn't see any reason to not peruse it.. but of cause when you agreed to this one we were surprised." Mother continued.

"Despite how this came to be, nothing can make me change my mind." Haden repeated himself.

"okay... but, Haden dear, you do know that this would mean you will be-"

"Yes" he agreed without letting her finish. She looked disappointed.

"Well I'm going to go and see your father about this." She said as she stood up. Fixing her clothes she looked down at me and tapped on my shoulder signalling me to follow her.

"Actually, I need to speak with Ash for a moment" Haden said grinding his teeth.

"Okay.. Ash, honey, I'll see you at the hotel." she whispered and kissed me and Haden on the cheek before she left.