Chapter 46. Photos

Start from the beginning

"Oh . . . I'm sorry to hear that . . ." I replied with a sincere voice. That must've been awful for him, he must really loved his sister.

"It's fine, it's just that . . . It's difficult to hang out with a girl." He groaned, "I-I'm sort of afraid of hurting one." Billy confessed.

"But . . . I'm a girl." I said in confusion.

Billy laughed and the mood suddenly lightened up, "You are?"

"Yeah, I am!" I shouted and pretended to be mad though I couldn't hide the smile from appearing, not bothering to tone my voice down considering I was alone.

"Well . . . You could say you're different." He said, his voice sounded much happier than before.

"Define 'different'." I stared at the ceiling.

"Mmm . . . Let's say because of you, my whole view about girls are starting to change." He said in a sincere tone.

"Why?"

" . . .You've really been through a lot. All the things that happened to you before . . . You managed to live through it." His voice grew quiet, "You may not remember exactly what happened or how it felt but . . ." He left the sentence hanging, he sort of sound gloomy for a second, "You're a very strong girl." He undoubtedly said with a serious voice.

I let out an awkward chuckle, "Ha ha . . . Was that a compliment?" I asked, trying to liven the talk up a bit. Why did he suddenly turned so serious? I know he said my parents and brothers died, I was abused, alone but it sounds like there's something more than that. Was it really that bad?

Billy's laugh made the thoughts leave my mind, "Whatever." He gave another laugh before he turned quiet again, "Thanks."

"Hm? For what?" I rolled over my bed.

"For listening, it's really great to get that off my chest." Billy replied, I could imagine him smiling on the other end of the phone.

"Listening was the least I could do after you went out of your way to help me . . ." I smiled as I stare at nothing in particular, "Oh shit, did I kept you up?" I said in sudden realization.

"It's fine, it was a nice talk." Billy yawned.

"Sorry, I should probably let you sleep." I mumbled, "Get well soon so we can hang out sometime."

"Hang out?" Billy repeated, "You wanna hang out with me?"

"Sure, why not?"

"Becau- . . . Nevermind." He chuckled, "Alright, goodnight."

"Night . . ." I let out a yawn, it's really late. I hung up and placed the phone on the side table.

That was stupid of me, I kept him up even though he's wounded. Still, talking to him really helped my mood. I didn't even notice I was smiling, there was just something in his voice that tells me that everything will be alright.

I wonder what he meant about me being different, was my childhood so bad? I wonder how it felt, how hurt I was when I found out my family died. I really can't remember anything, not one bit. I want to know exactly what happened and maybe how my family and husband looks like because . . . I feel so lonely.

Wait . . . Pictures, photo albums. There's gotta be at least one in this house!

I sprang up and hurriedly stood up, I limped towards the light switch and flicked it on. I need to find them.