Chapter 15

I found myself back on the roof, grateful that my older brother didn't stop me even when Tony commanded that him to.

Taking in the cool and gentle breeze, I took a deep breath of the night's breeze. I had then gazed out towards the Mounties were the child was, most likely being taken too.

Making a small fist, I couldn't imagine how that poor girl was feeling. Scared, helpless, and hoping for someone to find her.

And Joel. A father who wanted nothing more to find his offspring.

Ashamed that I couldn't do anything for the child. I looked away, in the empty parking lot. Finding Joel, coming around from the corner of the hotel building; talking to himself.

Watching him pace around the parking lot fiercely, he bites his thumb. Drawing blood that filled the night's air; I inhaled the intoxicating scent. I moaned, not knowing what had come over me. It was the loveliest scent I have ever encountered. Taking my attention back to him and trying to forget the scent that tempted me so; he draws a big circle down on the parking lot pavement, with his now bloody thumb.

What was he thinking?

Curiously overwelled me, flexing my wings I jumped down and landed beside the circle he made as he now drew letters of some sort that I didn't know.

"What are you doing?" I asked making myself now for he didn't pay any mind that I was standing just a few feet away from him.

"Finding my daughter," he growled standing up straight, looking down at his drawing.

Joel's hair was a mess, his skin as pale as the moon, and his clothes were covered with the ashes of the house fire, a couple mile's back. You could even see the dark circles under Joel's eyes from under the light post of the parking lot.

"And how will you do that?" I asked not believing that he could really do it, not on his own at least.

"I can track her," he announced, "Because of the fire, I don't have anything that belongs to her to help. But, maybe, by blood can do the trick. It's a risky move but if it's my only hope-", He said looking paler by the minute. He must have been ill at the idea that it would fail, that or there was another reason for his dismay.

But it couldn't be? If it was what I thought, then surely he wouldn't risk it. "Risky as in you die?", I asked in a whisper, hoping it wasn't true.

He snapped his head up, "Yes and no. Blood is a powerful element within the magic realm. But you need to use a large amount of it. Unless you have an object like stuffed animal or clothing, anything would really do but-"

I cut him off, "what about a feather"? I ask remembering that I had given one of my feathers to Marine before I left.

"If she had it on her and if I had a feather from the same-" Joel stopped and looked at my wings. A glimmer of hope washed over his face as I expanded my wings outwards. "You gave her one of your feathers?" He finally asked breaking the silence between us.

I picked off a feather or two from my wing and handed them to him. But he was hesitant from taking them from me. As if he couldn't believe the gift that had been given to him. Finally, taking the feathers carefully, from my hand. He placed them gently in the middle of his self-made circle.

Taking a few steps back he started chanting words that I couldn't understand. He chanted, the strange language, of his spell. Placing his hand over the feathers, letting a drop of his blood hit them. Hearing his offspring name in the mix of the strange language, coming from his lips, he said a few more words.

The circle surrounding him began to glow, in a red, dim, color to only then glow violently, nearly blinding me. And it did. Shock waves from the blood circle hit the parking lot making the cars scream in alert and having me fly a few feets away across the lot.

Shocked beyond belief of what happened. I have never felt such a surge of power like this before. But then again I never really seen a warlock do a spell before.

When everything seemed to have died down, I realized I had been sitting on my butt. An awed by the man before me. I had picked myself back up not looking away from Joel's dark, cold eyes that had now become filled with hope and determination. This was the first time I have never seen him like this before. He was different and it scared me. It was as if something inside him had woken, inside, him and he was ready for the hunt. He even looked like he was going to enjoy it to judging by the curl of his lips.With my plucked feathers in his hand, he muttered, "I'm coming Marine."

He then sprinted into a ran and disappeared into the forest at full speed toward the Mounties.

What was he thinking? He was truly mad. He didn't even think about what Tony had said about chasing after the kidnapper.

Looking back at the hotel, I muttered an apologie before running after the fool. I knew full well that My brother and Tony saw what had happened just moments ago. That or they didn't and just wonder what that blinding light was. But it shouldn't be long before they looked for both I and the warlock fool.

Looking away from the hotel; I gave chase after Joel to only hope I didn't loose him. With my speed, I should not have any difficulties catching up to him.

So when I saw him. I was relieved that I didn't lose him. Slowing down to matching his speed, I yelled out, "What do you think you're doing?"

"She's this way," he muttered.

Glancing at the feather that was now floating in front of his face. I could see a thin line, barely seeable, that was connected to the blood stained feathers. It had appeared to have been a necklace invisible to the naked eye. Made by magic, I assume.

We both watched the feather point the way towards the Mounties but then it turned right; stopping Joel in his tracks.

I asked, "What's wrong?"

"They turned, they must know about the ambush up ahead," Joel muttered followed by a curse.

"What do we do? Should we warn Tony of the change?"

"No, It would only make things difficult." He walked towards the direction the feather pointed and stopped to only look over his shoulder and say, "Go back. I don't need you anymore."

"Excuse me?" my mouth nearly dropped.

"You heard me. You will only slow me down," he remarked, turning away and continued down the path.

"Slow you down?" I hissed. I could feel the steam rush out of my ears as I squeezed both my hands into fists. Running passed him in speed, he could not imagine. I faced him, bearing my fangs. "I'm faster than you ever will! Strong too! You cannot even fly!"

"There is no other being in this world who could fly but you," he lazily said as if I was a fool. "Not that I need too. Now go back."

Shaking my head in disbelief, "You need me!"

Joel stared at me blankly, marching up to me he whispered in my ear, sending shivers down my spine, "I don't need you. That's just it."

I stood there for a moment as he walked passed me. My heart sank at the male's words. His cold words had hurt me so. I would only describe the pain in one word: betray.

"Fool," I blurted out.