Chapter 2

"Are you sure this is what you want," Frederick Wolff asked while wrapping an arm around his wife's shoulder. We stood in from of their home by the steps as I was ready to walk up the driveway into the portal to the Human World.

I could only smile to show the kind man that I was sure that I was ready to leave. "Thank you for what you have done for my family. How could we be of debt to you?"

"You fixed our house," Marika laughed but it then slowly died. "The world is nothing like it was three thousand years ago," she spoke getting down to it. "It is best that you stay to protect yourself from being seen. Today humans are more... connected then they use to be."

Not understand her way of choosing words I only shook my head from side to side. "I will be alright. Like my other brothers and sisters I should explore our new ways of leaving."

"But-", Marika began but Frederick interrupted her.

"We understand. Be careful of the skies, humans have learned to also fly so make sure you are hidden well," he faintly smiled.

"Thank you, I will be aware of that," bowing my head, snapping my head up towards the couple, "Please watch my brother for me. I believe he will wake soon and will still be weak to feed on his own. His injuries are still deep."

"Don't worry about him, he will be in the best of care," Frederick assured me with a gentle smile.

"Thank you," I bowed once more before turning away to the road. Stretching my wings out, I started running while moving my wings to lift my body up and fly low into the portal. Felling my wings being pulled back, I leaned forward, pushing myself until I reached to the other side. Within just seconds I enter into the Human World, pulling my body upwards to enter the skies.

Entering in the sky, the wind hit my face cooling my face as I reached the clouds, hiding myself from the eyes of the humans. Taking a deep breath, it felt like home. The wind in my hair, the smell of the clouds and the feeling of freedom running through my veins. This was the thing I like most about the sky, it never changes, never judges, never makes you feel like you're in a cage. It was all peaceful free. Or that was just me, I smiled.

Through the skies I was able to see the world below. The large villages, the strange carriages the human use now. The buildings that I've seen are so large and tall, it amazed me what a difference three thousand years have been.

Narrowing my eyes towards land, I wounded if my mother's grave was there. Were we barrier her all thoughts years ago, or if the cottage in the woods still stood.

Facing forward I knew I wasn't far from the grave. The good thing about the portals is that they take you were you want to go, or were you have to go. As for my case I wasn't too far away from home.

Flying overhead, I finally reached the country side, filled with the woody area. From there I was able to see the old church of my village still, barely, standing.

Narrowing my wings, diving down, I took my time getting to the ground. Making my way down I was able to land perfectly to the ground unlike my other lands.

I was then able to relax my wings, while I shivered from the cool breeze, I looked around.

The building before me was half gone with only half of the brick building. It was clear to be it had to have been repaired many times before the villager had moved else were. With no widows left but the spider weds, the one thing that didn't change was the graves still in their same spots before with more graves then I remember.

Approaching my mother's grave, I slowly walked towards it, letting my fingertips touch the passing graves. Some gravestones still stood, some cracked and some still standing tall with only faded words left to say who they were. With years of weather abuse the gravesite was still fighting to stand for those like myself. Those who cannot die, and those who cannot forget.

Stepping in front of my mother's grave and stopped. Spreading my wings out, I looked down at my mother's grave, then lowered them.

"It's been a long time mother," I spoke softly. "Forgive me I don't come baring gifts." Bending down I ripped off the vines and whipped whatever was on the stone covering my mother name. Running my fingers through the left over words that still stood. Gently smiling, I could feel the tears ready to escape me.

"I'm sorry mother, father and Helena are gone from this world. I hope they are with you now. You've must have been so lonely waiting for us.

The last I heard of the twins was when they left saying they were going to Europe but I do not know were. I hope they had at least stopped to see you when passing. You may already know that father was with another woman and had my half sister Dawn. Lennox is working for her husband in the detective business. Marcus is not in the best of shape but he too had a child. Her name is Edea. Strange as it may Dawn and Edea are half-sisters too. The story is too confusing for even I to understand. But the two of them have children of their own.

Our family is growing mother." I wanted to smile, laugh, cry, "I wish you were still here mother. I wish we could have a chance to see you face to face again."

It was true, I wanted to see her so much. To see father before he gone mad. To see our family happy and together in the house we lived in the woods, away from the other human. But that would never happen. No matter how much I wish it, I could never go back but move forward like my other brothers and sisters.

"I miss you," I whispered staring at the old cracked, faded grave.

SNAP

My body became stiff over the sound of a couple sticks braking. Without moving my body, my eyes moved over to the direction behind me as I whipped my face from the tears, if to fool whoever was behind me that I didn't notice him or her.

"Forgive me mother, I must leave," I said stretching out my wings out to their full length. Bending my legs, I jumped while moving my wings to help pick me up and start to fly away. Flying upwards I picked over my shoulder to see a tall man stand behind the old church building. Stepping out of view. Not seeing him as clearly as I had hoped. I took my attention back to what I was doing. I saw that the sun was beginning to fall.

I should find shelter to rest my wings more. I wounded if my old home is still standing. It had to be if the church was then maybe it was too.