Chapter 8

Eating as much as I could, I didn't want to worry the girl's father as is. Flying over head the trees I watched for the iron bird. The strange creator as made me a little uneasy about being in the sky. Staying close to the trees I was able to get to the house without seeing the bird.

"Olivia!" Marine cried out from the ground below. Smiling and waving her little arms, I circles around the  house slowly coming down not wanting to embarrass myself if I fell in front of her. Never was good at landing.

"Easy, Little one. Don't rush it," my father once said smiling.

"But father it's to hard. The wind is strong and I cant control my wings. I don't know how birds do it." my younger self huffed. It had been only a week since we moved into the new house. "I'm never going to fly. I rather stay down here."

"My daughter, don't give up. One day you will fly. It must be that your still to young to fly let, just like a baby bird."

"Yes father," my younger self  sighed.

"Child what are you doing out alone? Where is your father," I had asked before landing noticing there was no sign of him in the area.

"Oh," she looked disappointed, "he's out looking for food and stuff."

"Stuff?"

She nodded, "He doesn't like talking about it. I think he's looking for a spell, for mom? To bring her back," the child started to speak slowly unsure if she should talk about it. "I know you can't bring back the dead but dad says it can be done."

Looking at the child, I felt a bit of sadness. "Child," Marnie looked at me "Come sit," I told her taking her towards the porch. Once seated I smiled at the child. "Did you father ever told you the story of the first vampire to be born."

"No, I don't think even thoughs that."

"That's a shame because it is apart of your history as well as mine. Would you like to hear the tale." She nod sharply, "Very well."

"Long ago," I began, "there was once a rich man who fell in love with a beautiful maiden in a very small village. This rich man had come from far off searching for a bride. A bride whose beauty was like of his mothers, and the courage of his father. He wanted a woman who was gentle but ferm. Someone he could rule by his side as an equal.

After a very long journy he finally found a maiden far off from his kingdom. It was a first sight that the man fell for the maiden and asked for her hand. But she refused. Even when she knew of his riches she would not take his hand.

He stand at the village every day for three months; asking her hand every day trying to win her heart. And her answer was always 'no'.  

But before she knew it the whole time he followed her, helped her on her farm and dirtied his hands; she would find herself smiling.

Then one nice breezy day she asked the man, 'What do you like about me?'

He answered, 'Your voice sound so sweet in my ears, it is like a song I wish to never forget. Your eyes, so lovely that I could be lost in them for eternity. And your smile, oh how it eases my heart. To me your nothing but an angel that I wish I could make you mine. If you will allow me to take your hand in marriage' he smiled at her with his hand out for hers.

She looked into the mans' eyes and took his hand without a word but a smile on her face.

After six night of sharing a bed, the man asked this bride if she will come home with him. She agreed and the two hand gone to his home. But when he arrived him and bride where greeted by an army from the king. While the man had gone off to find his bride, his father betrayed the king, and the family was to be executed. To save his bride he saved her saying her was nothing more then a servant that served him on his long journey. The army took the maiden, covered her mouth and watched them kill him."

"But why he didn't do anything!" Marnie yelled.

"Back then it didn't matter. They could risk anyone within the family seek revenge and kill the king."

"What does this have to do with vampires and witches?"

I smiled, "The maiden was a witch of great power. Out of madness she used you powers and killed the kings army and took her husbands body back to her village. Even when he was she couldn't let go. So she was determined to bring him back."

"Did she?"

"Yes," I frowned, "She was able to bring him back after ten years had passed. To finish the spell she had to give up her blood and let it soak into the her husbands skull. After three days and three nights His body was able to form flesh and when he woke he was nothing more but a vampire."

Marine smiled, "Did they live happily ever after?"

Looking at her frowning while shaking my head, "No, he killed her. He was mad with the thirst for blood that he could not recognize her until it was to late."

"Oh," Marnie soak, "If dad brings her back will mom do the same."

"Marnie, magic comes with a price."

"That's what dad says too."

"If your father does find away to bring her back then I will be sure to be there to make sure nothing happens to nether of them."

"Will you?" She looked at me with eyes that made my heart melt.

I a nod I gave her smile, bring her into my arms I patted her head. "You don't have to worry about a thing. I will protect you," I whispered the last part.

Marnie had made our meal for our little picnic. With a light blue sheet stretched out on the grass. She placed two water bottle down. Checking careful that she had everything, I couldn't help but smile.

I was doing a lot of those lately, I thought.

Looking down, she had made chicken sandwiches, potato salad, and four apples she got out of the kitchen.

"Done," whipping her forehead she say down.

Following her down, I asked "Do you normally do the cooking."

"Yea, dad cant really cook," she smiled proudly, "but I'm really good at it." Grabbing a sandwich off her plate she bit into it.

"Did your mother cook?" I asked taking my sandwich into my hands. When I looked up after what seemed like a long pause, "Marnie?"

She looked at her sandwich, "I don't know. I've never meet her . . . I think." She took a bit and turned her head towards the trees.

So she never knew her mother. She doesn't know a mothers? I must be hard having only one parent. No sibling to play with. Just alone in a house until night fall.

Taking a bit of my sandwich, I turned my head towards the trees and stared out.

"I'm sorry," I gently said after finishing my first bite.

"Don't be. Dad may bring her back. And if he doesn't-" she looked at me with a small smile, "I have you."

Marnie.

She grabbed a napkin and placed it on my cheek. In shock I pulled back and say the napkin was stained in red. "Are you okay?"

Shaking my head I grabbed my napkin and whipped my face, "Forgive me. I don't know what came over me."

"Why don't we finish and you can help me make dinner. I'm thinking rabbit stew," she smiled sweetly tilting her head slightly to the side.

"I would love to," I grinned still whipping my cheeks with my napkin.

If you didn't know I updated 'Don't Bite', 'Slave for the Damned',  and 'The Warrior (sequal to Skin)' This week. I will update next week.  Also did I ever name the Father, I can't remember? Anyway I hope you like the chapter and see you next week.