Chapter 26

I'm sorry for the last updates. If you read my post feed you would know I have been going through a lot and needed another long break until I could get my head straight. Updates for all stories will be slow. I have been very busy these last few months. Anyway sorry for the long wait enjoy.

I woke with an aching pain in my right arm. With a slight grown, I opened my eyes to find the child, Marnie laying on my arm. She was sound asleep and in moving. It made me smile.

"Your up," the child's father spoke, looking at us.

"Good morning," I smiled.

"Its more like a good afternoon."

"Oh my," I found myself saying while removing my arm from under the child. "I'm sorry," I groaned once more as the rest of my body began to ache altogether.

"Take this," he said handing over a small cup. Taking the cup from him, I saw only two red pills. Raising my eyebrow, I looked over to him, "blood pills. To help your hungry. They took you off the feeding tube yesterday."

I took the cup to my mouth and swallowed the pills, "thank you."

He didn't reply. He took the cup from me, watching me as he does so. "Your body is still healing so it will take some time before you can feed in your regular schedule."

"I see. Um..." How should I say this? Do I ask his name? Do I ask him if we are mated?

"Joel."

"What?"

"My name," he said. His eyes stared me down but in a gentle way. Almost longing. "My name is Joel."

I shivered at the tone of his voice, the way he said his name almost sounded like he was daring me, no begging to say his name, "Joel".

The way his name tasted in my mouth was like a spark of heaven. I wanted to say his name again. And again. And again. I wanted to say it his name in different ways, in different settings. It was a weird feeling I have for this man and yet, it didn't feel weird at all.

"Olivia. My name is Olivia." Say my name, I wanted to say. Say my name too. I felt like a dog, wagging her tale for an award.

"Olivia," he said in a low, almost hungry way.

I could feel my lips curl into a big grin. All I could think was that he said my name. My heart was jumping up and down while I was going light headed.

"Joel," I breathed, "my mate."

There was a long silence between us. It was awakened. The look on this face said it all.

He didn't understand what I was talking about. Meaning either I didn't tell him or I mistook them for someone else and this was our first meeting.

"What did you say?"

His voice was cold and hard. It made my body shiver in a way that reminded me of a wolf gazing at his pray. "Mate, or lifemate. It's a bond that links our lives to one another forever."

"I know what lifemates are but..." His cold eyes glare at my own. "It's impossible."

"Why not? We are meant to be. Much creators like myself can only mate once. It's not impossible."

"It's wrong!" Joel stood up from his chair. I couldn't help but stare into his eyes, wondering how this could be?

He was human, yes, but... Maybe I was too straightforward. "But the bond is never wrong."

"I'm a married man with a child. Just because I saved your life doesn't mean I'm your mate."

"A married man? I see, " I whispered. " now I know why I didn't tell you. That's why you are like this."

How could I have been so naive? Of course, the man was married, he had a child. I should have known that he was married. Maybe I was just wishful thinking that maybe, just maybe that there was something between us.

I see now. I never told him because I didn't want to ruin the family that he has already created from himself.

I wanted to say sorry but I couldn't. I just sat there thinking that life was out to get me. I lose my wings and now I lose my mate. How much more am I willing to let go before I have nothing left to give or nothing left to take.

After a long moment of silence, Joel spoke, "we should leave, " his voice was gentle this time as he leaned over and grabbed his child from my bed.

I could only nod my head in agreement. I was afraid to speak. Afraid to say goodbye.

So I watched him. I watched him leave my room and for a moment. I wished he turned around to look at me. To come back and give himself to me as my mate.

But I couldn't let that happen. It would have been selfish of me to take away what doesn't belong to me.

Anymore.