Chapter 5

"Dad, what if the monsters hurt her?" the child asked her father who tucked her in bed.

"She will be fine, Marnie."

"But her wing is-"

"She'll be fine," he insisted kissing her in the forehead. He then walked out of the room turning off the light, leaving the girls room with the door open a cracked.

I couldn't help but smile at the little tossing and turning in her head. I wanted the tell the child I didn't go far. Couldn't. Not with a wing this. The nearest cave was a day on foot, and a town that would take me three days to get on foot.

Further more I didn't have the energy. A ten minute out and ten minute back, I climbed a tree behind the house. Surely I would be safe from 'monster' tonight up here. And if the little one see's me by morning she would know I was safe.

Not to mention when morning comes I would be safe from the sun rays. To much sun was bad for my skin but what the heck, I never listen anyway. A little blood will fix that, I grinned to myself.

Wrapping my wings around my body for warmth, I leaded into the tree.

Sucking a breath my injured flesh of my wing touched the wood. Taking it I slowly leaded into the tree. Wiggling about, I hope I don't fall out of the tree.

The Morning sun broke through the cracks of the leafs. With a groan, I lifted the good wing over my face to shield the sun away. With squinty eyes, I adjusted my eyes to the new morning.

Once I did, I glanced down at the girls room.

Empty, the bed was still a mess but the smell of food filled my nose telling me the little witch was up.

Leaning forward to shake my wings about, I got up, placing a hand on the a branch over my head to keep myself up straight. With a long yawn, I looked over the house passed the trees. The wind get great against my skin. Yes, I thought, today will be a good day to fly.

"Vampire!"

Huh? A males voice spoke from belong, being the father of the child. "Yes?" I called back.

"Why are you still here?" he asked angrily.

"I was unable to fly and I was tired of walking. All the excitement last night tired me. So I rested here."

"Leave now, vampire or-"

"Or what?" I asked dropping down in front of him, titling my head in curiosity.

"O... Or-"

"Don't bother. May I use your phone, I have to call someone to pick me up. In my state I can't fly." It was true I couldn't do much with the wing. What was odd, was that it wasn't healing.

"If you drank blood would it have healed already?"

"Yes, but I haven't fed in sometime and I'm to weak to hunt my own pray."

"So your going to trick me in letting you in-"

"Still you do not trust me. Understandable." I sighed, "I don't drink from humans but from bags. And that is not what I have. Even I have never  hunted in my life. So, may I use your phone. Your daughter, is almost done breakfast."

The male looked at me strangle as it to understand what I was saying. Clearly I didn't sound like the normal vampire he thought I was. But what was normal. Even when I was young I never knew what the word meant when my siblings say they were normal and I wasn't. It may have been because they were able to hid their gifts unlike I.  

The male sighed, rubbing the palm of his hand on the nape of his neck. "I get it. But if you dare-"

"Then lets go inside then." I quickly said walking away from him.

"Hey!" He shouted taking my hand into his big hand. Turning my head towards him, I felt my cheeks start to burn. "Stop doing that."

"Do what?"

"Interrupting me." I froze looking him into he green eyes. What was this feeling. It was so strange. "Are you listening to me?" he asked pulling me closer to him, so close I place my other hand on his chest to make a gap between us. My cheeks began to burn. This was so strange.

"Please, don't touch me," I replied. My lord, his blood. I could smell it. I can smell the sent of aftershave and blood in a mix that made my mouth water. How come I didn't notice it before? Is it because we're so close now.

I could see his angry rise, "What?"

"I haven't fed and-" cutting myself off I notice the cut just below his jawline by his ear. Reaching out to touch it, my  fingertips just barely touched it before he gripped my wrist, stopping me midway. "You cut yourself?" I spoke out looking him in the eyes.

Those eyes, those lips, I want- want to-

"Don't touch me," he said quickly, "I'll let you make that phone call," he voice was huskier then before.

Oddly my voice sounded weak as I spoke, "Thank you."

"It's time to eat!" The both of us turned to look at the little girl that spoke their the back door. She smiled staring at the two of us.

I didn't understand what was going on but it look like the little girl did and in response her father pulled back take a couple steps away from me. He coughed not making eye contact to nether of us. "Why," cough "you go in and make that call."

"Okay," questioning if I should.

"Come on, Olivia! I made breakfast." She cheerfully  opening the door for me and her father.

"Thank you, but can you show me where your phone is?"

                                                                                            ***

Happy Valentines Day!

What's going on this week? Well I'm finishing up 'Her Deal with God [Book 2]' and will be updating 'The Warrior' which is a sequel to 'Skin'. Is you haven't read 'Skin' I highly recommend it. It's a story like no other.