79.

The following morning, after we've had breakfast and are hanging out in Shiroi's room, he says, "Oh, by the way, Takeshi called last night." He smiles. "Great minds think alike, Naruto. Sasuke's with Takeshi."

I nearly fall off the bed in relief. Shiroi just chuckles at this.

"He said Sasuke's going home this morning, so you probably want to go talk to him," he goes on.

"Yeah," I say, springing to my feet, then pause. "What if he doesn't want to talk to me yet?"

"Of course he does. I'm sure he's talked it all over with Takeshi. Sasuke's pretty rational about these kinds of things. He probably wants to see you right now."

I frown at this, because I don't agree. But it is true that I want to go see Sasuke, and I trust Shiroi's judgement. So I pack up, thank him profusely for his hospitality and emotional comfort, and hurry home.

As I'm unlocking the door of Sasuke's house, I hear heavy footsteps down the hall. My heart leaping, I wrench it open. At almost exactly the same time, Sasuke slides into view.

We stare at each other for what seems like forever. I'm frozen with a hand on the door, watching him; his eyes are wide with hurt – worry – anger – love. Then he opens his mouth to speak and nothing but a squeak comes out, and I snap out of my stupor to step inside and close the door behind me.

"You idiot," he breathes, his voice trembling. "What the hell were you thinking?"

I immediately go to him, stopping short, afraid of touching him in case his body is still remembering that night. "I'm sorry," I murmur. "I'm so sorry, Sasuke. I didn't mean to – I – Sasuke..."

I tentatively raise a hand, and he takes it instantly, and before I can stop myself I've taken a hold of him and pressed my lips softly, so softly against his, which are chapped and yet still give me the same comfort they always have.

"I'm sorry," I say again. "You don't have to forgive me."

He frowns, confusion marring his worry. "Naruto... why wouldn't I forgive you?"

"Why would you?"

"All you had to do was leave a note."

I stop and blink. "What?"

"I was so – I was worried," he says. "I came back home this morning expecting to be able to see you, to be able to talk it all over, and you weren't here. No sign of you whatsoever. Didn't you even think to leave me a note, something to tell me where you'd gone?"

Suddenly I realize we're talking about two different things. He's reprimanding me for leaving in a hurry yesterday, whereas I'm apologizing for hurting him two nights ago.

"Oh – oh. That."

His eyes widen. "You were talking about – never mind that, I thought you'd been kidnapped or something!" he says. "Why didn't you leave me a note? A message?"

"I – you're not angry about two nights ago?"

"Angry?" His voice falters. More quietly he says, "No... not angry. It wasn't your fault. I know that. But listen to me, Naruto – you had me worried sick! You can't just disappear like that!"

I sigh and lean forward, resting my forehead on his shoulder. "You're not the only one who was worried shitless," I mutter. "I thought you'd been – mugged or something – why didn't you call me?"

He winces; I can feel it in the tension of his body. "I... wasn't ready to talk to you."

"Oh." I can't argue with this. "Then you should have asked Takeshi to call me. Sasuke, you can't just leave and not tell me where you're going or how long you'll be. If you told me not to come get you, I wouldn't have."