50.

Once upon a time, in a quiet stretch of a forest, there lived a raven.

On this particular sunny day, the raven had found a large piece of cheese to save for his dinner later. The little human who lived in the farmhouse not too far from his home had offered it to him, giggling and jumping about when he daringly snatched it from her hands.

He swept back to his roost, planning to thoroughly enjoy his meal – cheese was rare, after all; it was something to be savoured. He settled on his favourite branch, where he could see the activity of the forest floor below and also possibly show off his hard-earned prize, although he would not share with anyone, even if they asked.

From behind his tree appeared a lithe, sleek fox, her fur shining orange in the afternoon sun, the white tip of her tail swaying slowly. She looked up at the raven with her large, curious eyes.

"It's Karasu-san!" she called cheerily. "Hey, hello, Karasu-san!"

Karasu tilted his head in response, for his beak was busy holding the cheese. He had never met this Kitsune before. She seemed bright and youthful, quite an energetic creature.

"Oh, Karasu-san, I've heard so much about you," she said. "Everyone in the forest tells me you are the king of the birds. I can certainly see that your feathers are so shiny and well-groomed," she told him, sounding very impressed. "You cut such a striking silhouette against the sky – your strong wings, your neat tail. And your beak is oh so very sharp and well-formed, Karasu-san. Standing there so high up in that tree, you really do fit the look of a king!"

Karasu fluffed up his feathers haughtily – he'd never been so flattered in his life, and he didn't know quite how to take it. But certainly it made him feel very proud and special.

"I'm sure your voice is just as beautiful as the rest of you," she continued. "With that glossy beak, you must surely have the most excellent voice. Oh, if only you would sing a song for me, Karasu-san, I could truly call you the king of all birds!"

Karasu considered the eager Kitsune before him. She did seem very keen to praise him, and he wanted to hear more of those flattering words. So he opened his beak and let out a raucous caw.

But as he did so, he lost his hold on his cheese. Quick as a flash, Kitsune leapt up and snapped it up, swallowing it in two bites.

She licked her lips, grinning up at Karasu. "Oh, Karasu-san, how naïve are you," she trilled. "Thank you oh so very much for that excellent meal. In return, let me give you a little piece of advice." And she trotted away, her glossy tail swaying behind her, and called, "Never trust a flatterer!"

Well now! thought Karasu angrily. That trickster Kitsune had stolen his meal! Enraged at the loss and humiliation, he swept on his wings after the little fox.

But the fox was cunning and quick on the forest floor, and Karasu had trouble weaving through the tightening forest on his huge wings. It took him a lot of concentration to follow Kitsune. But finally she stopped in a clearing, and he dropped down to land on a low branch in front of her.

"Oi, Kitsune!" he croaked in anger. "You owe me a meal!"

Kitsune stopped in her tracks and stuck her nose up. Perhaps she was just looking at Karasu, but it seemed to him like an arrogant gesture. "I don't think so, Karasu-san. You were foolish and vain. And I tricked you!" Standing, she turned and waved her tail at him in a playful manner. "If you want to get even, you'll have to trick me back!" And she bounded away again.

Karasu watched her go, glaring. What right did she have to claim his meal like that? Determined to get revenge, he followed Kitsune discreetly from above the treeline.