Protection Is No More

The car ride on the way back to Purple Haunt was quiet. Maybe a little too quiet, but neither of them did something about it. Edith was all too conscious to fall back asleep let alone speak a word to Adam. Questions still spun around in her head and tore at her heart.

What did they want from her?

What was so special about her?

Why did they not want to kill her?

Did she have something they wanted?

All these questions had no answers but perhaps Lucille had some answers. Although Edith knew almost all too well that Lucille would be like Adam and possibly lie or not answer fully.

Edith swam in her thoughts looking out the window, chin on hand and elbow upon her knee. The scenery flashed past her eyes and the music that played in the Toyota's radio was almost silent either than just playing in the background. Adam had an unsurprising taste in music. It would be what a farmer probably listens to.

Rock or country side.

Usually music these days are full with rap and electronic. Adam seemed like that guy who would enjoy that music.

Edith and Adam had stayed in town for more than they expected. They stayed there the entire day and darkness was already approaching. It was the season of winter, which meant night was longer and days were shorter. Darkness took over the light at the time of around 5 o'clock. The time now was already 4:43.

Adam already turned on the headlights since the sun had already disappeared and the sky was dimming.

Edith did feel tired but she held sleep off. She wasn't in the mood for falling asleep at this moment. Edith did not only stare out the window but fiddle around with her necklace which had randomly started glowing. It glowed a beautiful sea blue and it shone through her white tank top. Besides, white was the easiest color to see through.

Edith felt Adam's gaze upon her and her necklace every now and then, his eyes probably full of wonder and concern.

Maybe Adam knows something about my necklace now? Edith sarcastically thought.

Once the truck hit gravel, Edith knew they had entered the dark forest and were only about 5 minutes away from reaching Purple Haunt. Her new home. No, she wouldn't call it home. She would never call it home. She wouldn't want to stay there for a year even if it was the last place to stay on earth. It was haunted and those creatures lurked around in the mansion's shadows. No doubt would she be attacked or scared again. Edith couldn't picture herself living here for a year until she would be able to go live on her own. She may even be dead by then.

It was getting dark all too quickly as the trees around them were nothing by silhouettes and the headlights were the only lights in the darkness, soon enough, Edith spotted a silhouette of a big house. A mansion. Purple Haunt. A lump grew in her throat and she didn't wish to swallow it.

Time had passed quicker than she had wanted it to.

Edith was then reminded about Lucille. She had not told Edith where she was or anything about going into town with Adam. Oh she would be in trouble, she knew. Yes, Edith had not gotten into trouble very much back when she was with Mary, her mother and she had not yet gotten into trouble yet with Lucille. This would be her first time.