Chapter 5

"Time is shortening. But every day that I challenge this cancer and survive is a victory for me." - -- Ingrid Bergman  

***

Yuki Fukumoto

Tonight was one of the happiest evenings in my life. We won the championships. We won it! I was so happy. I never thought that we could come so far with this choir. We stood and jumped on that stage. Violeta came to me and said "Say something in the microphone, if it wasn't you we wouldn't be here tonight." 

I took a slow grip on the microphone

I took a slow grip on the microphone. I took a deep breath and looked at Mrs Auguste who had tears in her eyes. "We students from Hengiton Academy would like to thank everyone for this awesome prize. We wouldn't be standing here if it wasn't one special person. This special person cared about us, helped us and connected us. If you think that we were friends on the beginning you are completely wrong. This choir was a chaos. It was just a bundle of rich kids who quarreled about the money. Then Mrs Auguste came that we can't quarrel about the adult things. That we're still teenagers and that if we don't stop quarreling we will never come far. Mrs Auguste sits here in this concert hall and has tears in her eyes. I think that we should stand up and give her a big applause! Ladies and gentleman, meine Damen und Herren, señoras y señores, mesdames et messieurs .

I made a dramatic pause and said "Madame Madalene Auguste." Everyone in the room stood up and clapped. Our choir begun to shout her name. She stood up from her chair and went up on the stage. She hugged us and then I gave her the microphone.

"Thank you so much for your warm words Yuki. Things Yuki said are true. It was hard to get them connected. Everyone here in this choir has proven that there is something more worthy than money, it's friendship and love. Something you can't buy. I want to thank you guys so much!" Madalene begun to cry she was so proud of us.

***

After we took off our costumes Matthew and I went outside. "I'm so happy Matthew."

"Hmm." He said.

"I said that I'm so happy." I looked at his face, I saw that something wasn't right. "Matt what happened are you okay?"

He shook his head and then he sat down on the nearest bench. "Yuki you must promise me something." I was still standing. I didn't know what he was talking about. So i just said one word "what?"

"Promise me that no matter what happens you'll always be happy as tonight. That you'll spread hope to other people." He said.

I raised one of my brows. "Why are you telling me this? What is going on?" I said with a concerned voice.

He took a deep breath " You should sit down." I sat down beside him on the bench, I didn't except what he was going to tell me. "I've lung cancer, I don't know how much time I've." 

I didn't know what to say, so I just begun to cry. I couldn't stop cry. He was my best friend. "You can't die, you can't leave." I said while crying more and more.

"You can't tell anyone, my parents also don't know, my brother also don't know, please don't tell anyone, I want to fight it alone." He said.

I thought it was stupid. If I was him I would tell my family at least. "I promise."

A/N

Okay so this is a short chapter about when Yuki got to know that Matthew is sick. Sometimes I'll write chapters like that. They'll be from other characters perspectives and they will be memories.