Miscalculations

To the surprise of many palace maids, the very next day after the assembly which had all the imperial princes in attendance, the palace grounds had many visitors. Queens and concubines across the palace grounds were being visited by their clan members. Though the palace maids did not know clearly, the main topic of discussion was the 4th prince's knowledge of their clan activities. Many clan members had ohoped that the royal family member of their clan had more information on the 4th prince and his wife. Sadly, almost all of these royal ladies were the ones that had been indifferent to Lady Hae thus all they could really relate to their clans was that Lady Hae was close to the Crown Prince, 10th prince, and 13th prince's families, and Queen Yoo did not like her new daughter-in-law at all. No useful information there, as these things were to be expected. Though they were informed about the rumors of the 4th prince's wife's wild behaviour, the nobles knew that it will not be enough to approach the 4th prince to gain his confidence, well some of them were smart but the others were not.

Therefore under the pretense of delivering congratulatory gifts to the 4th prince, a certain group of court officials from Southern clans made their way across the palace grounds to the residence of the 4th prince. Coincidentally, these five clan leaders had a favourable alliance with each other so they had decided to visit the 4th prince together. But it was all good as an idea, but then they ran into a problem. Just where was the 4th prince's compound? As his whereabouts was not something they had particularly cared about, all they knew was that the 4th prince lived away from Cheondeokjeon and it was near the edge of the palace grounds, but just which edge of the palace? Luckily for these court officials, they encountered a curious 10th prince.

"Greetings to the 10th prince," they bow as the prince comes up to them.

"Greetings. Where are you going with all those gifts? Was today, a day of celebration or something? Did I forget some important event?" The 10th prince was now looking curiously at the gifts. They all knew that the 10th prince was weak in his studies and rather naive, and since there was no other way, they decided to make use of that fact.

"Actually, prince, these are gifts for the 4th prince as a congratulations of his marriage, as well as to relate to him of how splendid he had handled himself in the assembly yesterday."

"Is that right? But why are you guys waiting for So-Hyungnim near the prince's quarters? He is not here."

"Oh, we were hoping to catch him after his lessons."

"I thought court officials already knew, there are no lessons today. Anyway, I'm going to meet Hyungnim so you can just follow me. I know that Hyungnim and Soo will love gifts."

Now they had a gain guide and since it was the childish and innocent 10th prince, there was absolutely nothing that will make them appear suspicious to the 4th Prince. The same thing could be said when the 13th and 14th prince joined them, the court officials were not worried about these young princes at all. So they silently followed behind the three princes, forming plans on how to talk with the 4th prince as they walk past Damiwon, the lotus pond before the long garden walkway besides the lake till they reach their destination.

Unexpectedly, the three princes were providing many information about their fourth brother, but sadly nothing that these court officials could use. The 4th prince and his wife like to go on strolls through the various palace gardens so if they could not be found then usually they were out on a walk. Why would they ever have a need to find the 4th prince? after he had accepted their deal for them to not cause a trouble due to his wife's shameful behaviour in exchange for keeping quiet about their dealing. That prayer stones was something that the 4th prince built for his wife, and just why was that an important fact to them? Then the frequent mention of bickering between the 4th prince and Lady Hae, these court officials were not interested in the status of their marital relationship. The anecdotes of the young princes gave them no useful information that they could use in negotiating a deal with the 4th prince. Before the court officials knew it they have arrived at the 4th prince's compound.The private compound was a regal made with stones and woods, and there was a sign on either side of the gate. "Byul" on the right, an excerpt of a poem in another.