Changing Winds

Royal Court

The chamber was quiet. All the officials were standing in their places and were waiting for the King to start. The only prince in attendance was the Crown Prince, and for some reason, the Astronomer was not present in the room. Then a court attendant approaches the King, and the King nods his head as the attendant turns to address the court.

"His Highnesses the Princes of Goryeo will be joining this meeting." Then the courtroom door opens as the princes enter in their official uniform. But the last figure that enters with the Astronomer behind him clearly brings a tense silence. It was the 4th prince Wang So. In the black hanbok of a prince, his hair up in an sangtu, and on his face hidden beneath the bangs was a gold mask.

The scarred prince. A prince that court officials thought of as a prince in name only, for he was not perfect. No, in the eyes of some he was a disgrace. His existence was something that many of them would like to forget. Sure, the 4th prince and his wife Lady Hae now lived in the palace, but their compound was so far from Cheondokjeon that he was like a forgotten thought as they have done nothing to bring attention towards them since their marriage. However, now they could no longer ignore the 4th's existence. The 4th prince had entered into the morning assembly that too with his face covered in a mask, and the nobles had to bow as he passes by.

Some of the major clans such as Yoos, Yus, and Hwangbos thought that the prince will be awkward because this had to be his first assembly, but instead the 4th prince seemed to be at ease and unfaceable. This assembly will be interesting, because to some it became a bit complicated as they now had to hide their dislike for two princes, the Crown Prince and the 4th Prince.

Wang So

The walk into the courtroom was quite similar to his coronation day, but it was different. For on his coronation, everyone had to hide their reactions if they did not want to be killed. Today, he could sense the uneasiness of the court officials. Uneasiness because of how confident he was when he was in their presence, how easily he had entered the political hall with such a hideous mask on but they could do nothing to stop it.

It was just the beginning. No, these officials, they will have to adjust to his presence quite quickly. His mind was already calculating how to keep these noble ministers and officials in control for he already had an idea as to who were interested in harming his eldest brother and his father, though who exactly would seek to harm his wife was something that he will find out soon enough.

As the meeting started, he easily fell back into the role of a court official. All they could see was a scarred prince who just knew to hunt animals. Now they will see just who he is as a politician. Looking across the room, he saw the faces of those who had betrayed him, the ones who had hurt him in his past life. Though he will not wish them to die, for them to suffer difficulties, that will be something that he could ensure. It will be interesting to tell the story to his Soo-ya tonight.

Hae Soo

Stepping into Damiwon, always felt strange. This place which was like a home to her in the past, where she was the head, now she was a visitor, a royal visitor. But she did not mind when she could see Court Lady Oh alive and going about her duties. She had always been the server at the royal women's tea party but she was also a very fast learner, so she knew all that occurred in these parties. Being a silent observer had let her learn many things, and surviving in this den of snakes was something that she will happily do as she had knowingly entered into this den when she had married a prince.

But she was no longer a broken woman due to lies, betrayals, and death. She had survived all of that and now she was a stronger woman than ever before. Besides, she also had a treasure that none of these women have ever got. They had the support of their families, the care of their siblings, but the love from their husband, that was something that these older ladies sadly have never experienced. Even if the princess happened to be present behind these doors, charming and endearing herself to all the other ladies, it did not matter, for all she had to do was to be herself. Her true self which was a mix of Hae Soo and Go Ha Jin. With a slight smile on her face, she steps into the tea room full of her in-laws through some complicated ties, the den of snakes but not as a sacrificing lamb like a wife of a cursed prince should be, but rather the beloved lover and wife of a great man whom these people did not even realize her husband was. She couldn't wait to tell her Wang So-nim everything tonight.