Chapter 25~ Lego House

LUKE.

One of the worst emotions ever, is to feel like someone is keeping something from you. Like there is something you need to know and you don't know it. And someone close to you knows it and is not telling you. Going as far as lying to you about it. Just so you don't know what it is.

Another 6 hours was torn from me as I finished school on Friday. I was relieved to be done with school for the week. This week brought much stress and discomfort. Now I have the rest of today, tomorrow, and the day after to relax.

All I had to worry about now were calls from Peter and Melissa. I scowled thinking about the despicable pairing. I dreaded them with every ounce of me. My dread is reasonable.

I was only ten.

-

Most ten year olds spend time playing games in their rooms. I go with the majority as well, enjoying playing various board games and building with what I had. A box of Legos laid by my foot. This gave me an idea.

I leaned forward and reached for the box, dragging it closer once my finger touched it. The box of Legos was placed in between my legs. My fingers pulled it open and began assembling a house.

I pictured my house and couldn't help but grin. I envisioned the shape, going over the exterior in my mind. The bottom section was black. Above that was an ivory colour. Kinda white but not quite. The roof was brown.

I made parts at the bottom black, to match my house. I was setting them up in a medium sized square. They didn't have ivory Legos, which surprised my little ten year old mind. I had to settle for white, a major disappointment compared to ivory. I placed them around the square like I did with the black, but on top of them. I couldn't make it a triangular shape for the roof, so I was forced to make it a flat roof.

I stood up and stepped back to view my Lego house. I frowned at it. Not as good as my house. I shrugged it off, knowing no matter what it wasn't going to look like my perfect house.

I glanced around the room. A drawing of mine had caught my eye, it was a family portrait. I was not the best artist. But my mummy and daddy appreciated the effort I put into it. It was the best I could do. Stick figure mummy with her long blonde hair and mum clothes. Stick figure daddy with his short hair and work clothes. And me, the smallest stick with boyish hair and normal clothes. We all wore smiles on our faces and intertwined fingers. I had another brilliant idea.

I used some invisible tape to tape the portrait of my family to my Lego house. My imperfection showed when the portrait was taped slightly crooked. I didn't mind though, because now my house was perfect. I should go downstairs and show mummy and daddy.

I don't want to bring it to them though. What if by act of clumsiness, I drop it? My eyes widened. I hurried downstairs to look for my parents, who I suspected were in the kitchen chatting.

My predictions were wrong, however because I found Daddy and some way younger lady embracing each other. In fear of being scolded for watching, I hid behind the small block of wall separating the kitchen from the living room.

"Are you going to do it now?" The woman asked my dad after they pulled away from their too-amorous-to-be-friendly embrace. She was old enough to be my babysitter, or worse, my sister. Why was my dad with her?

"She has to come back upstairs from the basement. " He gave her a reassuring smile, intertwining their fingers. I was confused and a little upset. What is he doing holding hands with someone other than Mummy?

I heard my mum coming upstairs, and the two quickly released their grip on each others hands by dropping them. They moved away from each other. My mum greeted the woman naively with a smile, " Melissa! Hello there. What are you doing here?"

If only Mummy saw what they were doing moments earlier, I noted to myself, shaking my head at Daddy. I was in disbelief over his actions that were out of character and unlike the dad I knew. However, he has been gone quite a lot.

"Honey," My dad was calm in his voice. This was probably to trick her into thinking what he was about to say wasn't a big deal while on the contrary. It was a huge deal. "Melissa and I"

I tuned out the rest of the conversation. Too focused on how mad I was at Daddy for being so stupid and cheating on Mummy with some teen girl. Is that even legal? Probably not. Mum's eyes grew teary as the discussion progressed and it got even worse with details of his infidelity.

I gasped loudly when Daddy announced plans of divorce and protested the separation. Alas, there was nothing I could do. Me being a non-influential young boy and my father not caring about what I had to say.

It was for the best, was his reasoning.

I even shed a few tears. I remember running up to my room furious. My dad yelling out my name and my only response was a very harsh and cold, "I hate you." I slammed the door behind me.

I stared down at my "perfect" house, scowling down at my foolishness seemingly forever ago when it wasn't long since I've been in here. I cursed the house for its happy symbolism. My family's not whole anymore.

In complete and uncontrollable rage, I knocked my Lego house down with all I had in me. I kicked every last Lego, knocking some across the room. Some white Legos were far away, across the room even. The black and brown ones were sprawled across the floor. I got down on my knees and cried.

My family portrait landed on me. I took a good look at it and glared at the smiley faces, that were now taunting me with their happiness and glee. I wasn't just going to let them do that. I wasn't going to keep him in the picture. Without a second thought, I ripped my dad out of the drawing. I crumpled up the scrap of paper and tossed it at the wastebasket. I cut off the ripped part and put the remaining drawing, of me and Mummy only, atop of my nightstand.

I hate my dad.

-

I stared at the family portrait, turning over in my bed. It was now framed. The frame read some sappy thing about a mother and son.

The dad section didn't make it to the trash due to lack of tossing skills and now was hidden under all of my clothes. I don't have the guts to throw it away now.

Today was the anniversary of my dad tearing apart my family. And I wanted to spend it alone.

-

WHAT DID I JUST WRITE WOW. I never played with Legos so sorry for any errors.

You should vote/comment maybe if you liked it.

My heart hurts now. Wow I need to go to sleep. It's 6:52 am. Thanks for reading (:

(I have no life so that's why I'm updating so much. Spring break woop woop. Party hard. )

Thanks for nearly 8k reads.

~D