˚₊‧31‧₊˚

˚₊‧✩ଘ✩੭✩‧₊˚

˚₊‧✩ଘ✩੭✩‧₊˚

Day 1

"He's cancer-free."

I froze, thinking Ava might be playing a cruel joke on me. But she wouldn't toy with something like this. My knees buckled as a sob tore through my chest. Nash and Jon had to hold me steady and guide me to sit down on the bed.

"He made it, Casper," Lucas whispered to me, hugging me tight as I cried on his shoulder. "He made it."

I nodded, bunching up his shirt in tight fists. Lucas pulled back, but he cupped my face as I calmed down. "See? He's fine. Just breathe."

"He's okay," I wept. "He's okay..."

"Do you need a ride to the hospital?" Nash asked. "You have to go see him."

"I... y-yes, I need..." My thoughts ran haywire, and I wasn't able to form words past that. David's tumor was gone. He was alive. I wanted to hold onto that hope, but after everything being thrown at me lately... could I trust it? I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

"Okay. Nash, you're drunk so I'll drive him," Ava said, pulling me to my feet. "I've got him, guys."

"Send us updates if you can, Casper," Jon told me. All I could do was nod. Ava led me out of the room and toward the elevator.

I bounced my foot as Ava pressed the down button. The elevator churned to life, racing to our floor.

She let out a quick, forced breath, staring at the wall. "I've known Dr. Larsen for a year now. Since I was a freshman. I never imagined..."

God, this elevator couldn't go any slower. Without looking at her either, I replied, "Yeah. I keep forgetting you're a sophomore. Honestly, I'm kinda jealous. I'd give anything—anything—to have met David a year ago."

She chuckled, and I glanced at her. "What?"

One corner of her lips lifted up. "No, nothing. Just hearing you call him David."

The elevator dinged and its doors opened. A happy couple stepped out and around us, laughing while holding hands, and I held in the urge to glare at them. They walked down the hall, and I almost broke my neck staring. Must be nice.

We walked in, and I jabbed the first floor button. The heavy doors slid shut. "You repeated his class twice now. And you'd talk about him like you knew him well enough."

"I have a few stories, yeah."

"I'm sure you do. Maybe you could share them with me some time. I'd appreciate it."

She nodded. "Yeah. Yeah, of course."

˚₊‧✩‧₊˚

"You're here!" Dani exclaimed, rushing me into a warm embrace.