˚₊‧14‧₊˚

˚₊‧pic of Trey‧₊˚
˚₊‧✩ଘ✩੭✩‧₊˚

It turned out that I had done a number on David.

Nobody else in the class appeared to notice, but I did. He was distracted as he taught us. I wasn't a proud person, but I had a gut feeling that it was because of me.

See, usually, David was confident and self-assured while managing to stay humble. His lessons were typically void of ums and uhs, and he never really stumbled over his words. His surefooted gait was fluid. Graceful. I envied yet appreciated these things about him.

Today, however, was a different story. He stayed rooted in one spot for the most part, and he seemed to take longer pauses while speaking.

"I'll remind you all once again that your, uh... your first test is one week from today, on Monday. I'll send out an email about Friday's study session at the library. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions. Alright, that's it for today. I'm dismissing you a little early."

There was a collective hum of happiness from the class as everyone started packing up.

"So. Lunch?"

I looked to my right to see Ava's grinning face. It was getting harder and harder to be around her, but I wasn't ready to confront our past.

"Nash will be there." She winked. "I know how much you like him."

I wasn't surprised she picked up on that, but it was too little too late. I assumed Nash hadn't told her that he found his ex.

"Not today."

"Oh." She pouted. "Okay. Well, I'm glad you feel better. We were worried about you last week."

"Thanks."

"Yeah. I guess I'll catch you later." She stood up and joined the thinning crowd of students exiting the room. I rose to my feet, taking my sweet time, and put my backpack on.

I risked a peek at David standing at the podium, only to see him peering back at me. My breath lodged somewhere in my throat as my heart lurched. Something in me just plain missed him, and I didn't understand that. I definitely wasn't complaining though. What I wouldn't give to be right beside him...

I couldn't say how much time passed as we stood on opposite ends of the room, gazing at each other. The large classroom door fell shut as the last student exited and silence filled the theater.

Everyone was gone.

It was just me and David.

With this knowledge in my mind, my legs carried me toward him. He took a step away from the podium—closer to me—then waited for me to ascend the platform.

"You're okay?" He queried as soon as I made the landing.

I nodded my head yes. "I'm okay."

"Good. That's good." He exhaled in relief, the weight falling off his shoulders. "I'm so sorry for last Thursday. I'm sorry I put you through... y-you panicked and I just—I was so worried I hurt you somehow. I don't know if you even remembered what you wanted to or..."

"I did. And I'll tell you everything soon, I promise."

"Okay. Still, I apologize." He clasped his hands together in sincerity.

"No. You shouldn't be sorry for anything that happened that day." I gave him a meaningful glance, hoping to get my point across. "I don't regret any of it. Do you?"

We shared another long look, and I realized the truth in my declaration. My actions thus far may have all been stupid and humiliating, but I was starting to realize that I wouldn't take it back.