˚₊‧21‧₊˚

˚₊‧✩ଘ✩੭✩‧₊˚

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

I smiled at my family through my laptop screen after the three of them sang to me.

"We miss you, baby!" Mom said, her eyes brimming with tears. "How are you nineteen? You're growing up too fast! Stop it!"

"When are you coming back?" Dawson asked as he shifted closer to the camera.

"Soon, I promise."

I especially couldn't wait to tell my brother about my new relationship. I could already imagine his shock . If someone told my teenage self that I now had a boyfriend who cared so much for me, I'd have cackled in their face.

"Well, we sent some gifts your way, so keep an eye out for a package or two," Dad informed. I could tell they were all excited, but there was a stiffness in their voices that put me on edge. I hoped it wasn't my fault. I knew how difficult the truth of my fall was for them to handle.

I cleared my throat, trying to shake those morbid thoughts.

"Thank you, I will. Is everything okay over there?"

"Of course, sweetheart," Mom reassured. "We love you so much. What are you and your friends planning for today?"

"Oh... well... I didn't tell them it's my birthday."

"What? You can't spend the day alone! I'll drive down myself if I need to!"

"Mom, no. It's fine. I kind of... celebrated yesterday. Plus, I actually want some peace and quiet for a few hours. It's Sunday, so everyone who went home should be coming back later tonight."

"Okay, baby. We'll let you have your peace."

"And we'll see you again soon, I'm sure," Dad said. "We love you."

I smiled. "Love you."

˚₊‧✩‧₊˚

After speaking with my family, I remembered the gift David told me to open when I was home. I'd returned so late last night that I didn't get the chance to see what was inside.

I reached up to the shelf above my bed and picked up the present. It was rectangular and flat, so it must've been like an envelope or a card of some sort.

I tore off the wrapping, confirming that it was, in fact, a sealed envelope.

I had to wonder if there was another check waiting for me inside. Honestly, I hoped not. I would just give it back. Was that why he wanted me to wait to open this? So that I wouldn't be around to reject the gift?

He was my boyfriend— God, that was still so hard to wrap my head around— but I didn't want our relationship to be materialistic. I wanted something real and intimate.

I ripped the envelope along its seam, pulling out a formal letter and a folded note.

I figured I'd read the note first. It was in David's handwriting, and maybe it would explain what this gift was.

Casper,

The time I've spent with you has been some of the best, most cherished months I have ever experienced.

Simply put, I care about you. I want you to be as happy as you've made me.

I'm sure you recall the research opportunity that you wanted earlier in the semester.  Though it went to someone else, I told you I believe that when one door closes, another one opens.

While the research may have boosted a simple grade, I'd rather you boost your entire career.

Enclosed is a far greater opportunity. A head start. You deserve all this and more. Walk through the door, Casper. I can't wait for you to see what's on the other side.