˚₊‧6‧₊˚

˚₊‧✩ଘ✩੭✩‧₊˚

There was something about Ava.

Something about the way she dressed, like she'd planned her outfit a week in advance. Or the manner in which she flipped her coconut-scented blonde hair. Even the poised way she stood with a hand on her hip while waiting for me so we could sit down in the front row together. And her honey vanilla perfume...

I knew her once. I had to have known her. From the day we met, she felt familiar, and I couldn't figure out why. It was like an itch that I couldn't scratch.

She had a unique glint in her eyes when she spoke about something intriguing. Or when she was staring at Dr. Larsen.

"He is so... hot."

I snickered at her not-so-subtle comment and leaned toward her. "Ava, you really gotta pass this semester." I stared at Dr. Larsen's rich, soulful eyes. "Stop failing just to be in his class...  Even if he does look like a Greek god."

"I know! Class started two minutes ago, and I've already had five mini-orgasms." She glanced my way, sucking on a lollipop that had stained her tongue blue. "What's that?"

"Hm?"

She gestured at the book on my desk.

"Oh. It's called A Frozen Heartbeat. Someone recommended it to me." That someone being our teacher. Of course, I didn't need to have it sitting on my desk where he could clearly see it. Maybe deep down, I wanted him to.

"Cool, what's it about?"

"I haven't started reading yet, but I was told it was good."

"Romance?" she guessed, wiggling her eyebrows.

I smiled. "Mhm."

Class ended way too soon. Again. It was strangely depressing. I closed my notebook and put it inside of my backpack as the class cleared out. Ava said she'd see me later, then rushed out of sight. I swung my bag over my shoulder and contemplated the bold move I was about to make.

I wiped my hands on my jeans and walked to the teacher's podium.

"Do you have a moment?" I asked.

His shoulders jumped a little before he turned. "Oh, Casper," he chuckled.

My cheeks flushed. Oops. "Sorry."

"You're fine." He sent me a tiny smile as his thumb and first finger grasped the edge of his glasses, pulling them off. "And yes, I've got a moment."

I played with the strap of my backpack, trying to steady my thoughts. "Umm, this is gonna sound strange, but... along with teaching, are you a counseling psychologist as well?"

"Actually, yes. Although I'm focused on educating for now, I was a therapist for several years." He lowered his chin, looking into my eyes in concern. "May I ask, are you trying to find a therapist?"

"Well, I... I just want someone to talk to that isn't a friend, I guess. Someone who could give me advice." I shook my head quickly. "Seriously, it's okay. I-I didn't mean to, um—it's nothing." I stepped back, cursing myself for rambling.

"No worries." He was calm, and I felt the tension in my shoulders relax. "My office hours, email, and work number are all listed in the syllabus. If you truly need help, I'll try my very best."

"Thank you. I used to go to therapy. Sometimes I feel like I still need it."

His lips curved up. "Don't we all?"

"Yeah, I know. There's also this other thing... I was reading the syllabus and I noticed a research opportunity."

"Ah, yes. I spoke about that on the first day of class."