˚₊‧25‧₊˚

˚₊‧Anna Speckhart as Dani‧₊˚
˚₊‧✩ଘ✩੭✩‧₊˚

They must have had another Psychology teacher on standby. David was replaced by Monday.

Ms. Hurst was a curvy woman with thick glasses, and she was quite the bore. Or maybe I was just biased.

I'd returned to my original seat beside Ava. Our friendship was still on the rocks, but I didn't have the energy to hate her right now. I needed to focus the little bit of energy that I did have on my relationship.

"Casper?"

Ava laid a gentle hand on my shoulder, snapping me back to reality.

"What?"

I looked up to see her standing, then I glanced around the room. Students were filing out of the classroom.

"I think you spaced out," she explained. Her lips sagged into a pout. She knew what I must have been thinking about. "Could we walk together?"

I blinked, trying to return to my senses. "Um, yeah. Sure."

We strolled together in total silence until we got outside of the building.

"I was worried about you last week," Ava said. "The day you sorta stormed outta class after Dr. Larsen's announcement."

I nearly cut her off. This was the last thing I wanted to talk about, and she was the last person I wanted to talk about it with. "I'm fine."

"How sick is he? That he'd have to quit..."

When we hit the landing of the stairs, I paused. "Sick."

"And..." her fingers toyed with her blonde locks. "How close are you two?"

My bottom lip quivered. Damn her for bringing this up right now. "Close."

Her posture sank. "God... I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry. And, look, I know you don't consider me a friend– which you have every right not to– but if you need me, I'm there."

My throat bobbed. I didn't want to be stubborn, but the thought of needing her after what she did to me was inconceivable. "That's not necessary. I– I have another class. Bye, Ava."

I stepped around her, taking a scenic route back to my dorm. I had no intention of attending any class for the rest of the day.

˚₊‧✩‧₊˚

David couldn't drive anymore due to his tumor, but that wasn't going to stop me from visiting. I took a bus and walked the rest of the way just to get to his house. Besides, it wasn't too far off campus, and I'd walk a hundred miles to see him.

I marched up the steps to his front door and rang the doorbell. After a minute or two, the door opened. I wasn't expecting to come face to face with a woman.

She was glowing. Dark hair, brown eyes, and a striking resemblance to the man of my dreams.

"Hi," she greeted.

"Oh– hi. I-I'm here to see Dav— Dr. Larsen, please." I snapped my head from side to side. I swore this was the right address.

The lady leaned against the door frame, smirking at me. "You must be the someone."

My brows rose. "I'm sorry?"

"My brother told me a while back that he met someone. 'S gotta be you."

Brother? Right! David said his sister would be coming to take care of him. It was unnerving meeting one of his family members, but I knew it was inevitable.