˚₊‧29‧₊˚

pic of the rings

˚₊‧✩ଘ✩੭✩‧₊˚

I picked at the loose fringe of my thinly padded waiting room seat, my gaze darting around at everyone who was in my shoes.

A doctor came through the doors, and the majority of us sat taller, craning our necks. We hoped to be the ones approached with an update.

A collection of sighs and whispers whirred through the room like a swarm of bees as the rest of us were bypassed for an elderly lady. The doctor confirmed her name, then gently asked her to follow him.

I wondered what her story was. Who was she here for? A daughter? Husband?

I swallowed, glaring at the clock that taunted me.

Two hours.

I was stuck in this room because I wasn't family. Bullshit.

The entire point of my conversation with David in the bathtub this morning was for me to be considered his family. So that shit like this wouldn't happen. Our rings mattered. They meant something, and to have that ignored pissed me off. For all anyone knew, we were engaged.

The plain clock ticked to a new minute, and I felt it in my soul. Two damn hours and four minutes without a word. Surely, that meant David was still alive?

I leaned my head back against the wall the moment I felt myself disintegrating. My throat was sore, like I was about to bawl my eyes out. I was so thankful to hear the whoosh of the sliding doors open, if only because it meant I could be distracted for a few more seconds.

"Is there a Casper Niely here?"

I lifted my head, body jolting back to life. "That's me." I shot up from the chair, heading toward the nurse.

"Hi. I was told to come get you. This way, please."

I followed her through the double doors. I was so frantic that I almost ran her over to get to my love.

"I'm here for David Larsen. Is he okay?" I queried.

She held up her hands, pacifying me. "Yes, his sister wanted me to inform you that he's just fine."

"Oh, God." I released a steadying breath, hand over heart. "Thank you. I needed to hear that, you have no idea."

She plastered a sad smile on her face, stopping at an elevator. "Of course. I'll escort you up to his room."

"Please."

˚₊‧✩‧₊˚

The blue overhead sign for the neurology unit made me tense. If it weren't for the nurse's guiding hand, I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

"Alright, just down this hall."

Before we reached the end of the hall, a group of relatives stepped out of a hospital room, one of whom was a stoic, stony-faced man. He loomed over his emotional wife like a redwood tree. Definitely David's father. A young man followed, who I assumed to be David's brother, then finally Dani.

"Where is he, Danielle? I wanna see him for myself," Mr. Larsen grumbled.

I walked forward, right into his view, and his hard eyes assessed me.

Dani moved to stand in between us. "Uh, Dad, this is Casper."

"You're David's boyfriend?" the brother asked. He looked the most like his father, but with more compassionate eyes. The same compassion I saw in David.