Forty nine

YAY another update after 10 years
eek
sorry guys
ily still

---
"Crap..." Ring. "Crap..." Ring. "Come on..." Beep, beep, beep. "Ah, shit!" I exclaim, dropping the phone from my grip. Brad swerves the accelerating car at my sudden yell.
"What, she's not picking up?" He asks, slightly yelling, slightly not.
"What do you think?" I yell back; I can't spare a thought feeling guilty about it. My mind is set on Kirstie and James being held by Calum. Fucking Calum Hood. The bastard can rot in hell, but only after I've been given half an hour in a room with him alone with some grenades.
"What the hell are we gonna do, Brad?" I ask, rubbing my forehead anxiously.
Brad makes a right turn, then a left. "I'm the ransom. I don't know what they want me for, but whatever it is... I'll do it." Brad mumbles and I frown, snapping my head to look at him.
"Are you kidding me?" I whisper. "I s said, are you kidding me? We've come this far and you're just going to give up?"
"Jane, it will never be safe for you, Kirstie, James, or anyone who's ever known me for that matter-"
"But they're going to make you pay for something you didn't do!" I shout.
"Jane, just calm down-"
"They want Luke, right? Because Calum's suspecting him?" I ask and Brad nods. "Then I'll turn him in."
"No." Brad shakes his head.
"Brad, I'll do this if it helps you. Luke's the one who killed Tyler, not you." I lower my volume. "This is so fucked up."
"You're telling me." Brad laughs half-heartedly. "But, the answer's still no. As hard as it is to believe, Luke is, or once was, my friend. That's why I blamed myself in the first place. I can't let him fall into Calum's grasp."
"And if you take the blame, I may be protected, but I'll be fucking heart broken. So will Tristan, Kirstie, your mum, Connor, James-"
"James must hate me even more. If he makes it out alive-"
"Brad..." I murmur.
"Sorry. When he makes it out alive, he'll never want to see me again."
"That doesn't matter right now. What matters is our plan."
Brad makes another turn and continues down a road in silence. It's pitch black so I can barely see anything besides from the impending doom following.
"So, what is our plan?" I ask.
"I have an idea, but you won't like the fallout."
"Let's just focus on saving my friends, then we'll talk about the aftermath."

Another ten minutes and Bradley pulls into a dark and suspiciously movie-like scenerio: a vast oxymoronicly dirty pavilion. I'm completely swept by whatever the building is. Perhaps an abandoned warehouse? A lot of murders happen there.
Oh great. Now my minds wondering.
"Brad park somewhere they won't see." I whisper, slightly sliding down in my seat, naturally trying to hide from the whole situation.
"Either way, they know I'm coming." Brad hisses, shaking his head. I barely notice his cold tone as my mind is still trying to stay awake as it's so overwhelmed from fear.
Everything got so out of hand so fast. I wish I could go back a year and start everything again. But wishes are just for toddlers that want a puppy for their birthday.
Brad does as I say and parks half hidden by a bush. I go to open the door but my thigh is grabbed by a strong hand.
"Jane..." I hear a soft voice whisper and turn to see Brad looking at me wearily, eyes glossy. I take my hand of the handle of the door and place it on his that's on my thigh.
"I know, I'm scared too." I mumble and put my other hand on his cheek, but find it wet from tears. It's so dark that I can barely even see my own hands and I didn't even realise he was crying in the first place. "Brad?"
"I-I... I can't let you go th-there... w-with me..." he lowers his head and tilts it slightly to kiss the palm of my hand. I pull slightly on his cheek, bringing our foreheads to gently rest together. "Y-you'll get hurt."
"Bradley-"
"No, Jane, you d-don't get it. You'll never have the chance to b-be the same Jane you are now if something g-goes wrong in there. I want you to always be the sweet yet sarcastic bitch-Jane I love. I love you and I can't..." a small sob leaves his lips but I don't notice. All I feel is hope. All I feel is Brad. As ridiculous and cringey as it sounds, although Brad feels nothing but sorrow right now, optimism overcomes fear. Always.
I don't contort my face in any way to emote; I don't want to be counterfeit at this point in time. I focus on his dimples and how they're ridiculously deep but cute. I focus on those damn chocolate eyes that would've annoyed me when I first met him, but that I now fond charming and mesmerising. I focus on our memories together.

Meeting on the roof.

He turned up at my window and whisked me away to the stadium to show me his dream. He trusted me, out of all people.

After endless arguments with my family, he picked me up for a sleepover. He left his own house to come to the school roof with me.

We had our first kiss that very night.

And every kiss after that felt like our first.

"I love you too, Brad."

I can't define what love is, but I know I've experienced it.

---
AHHHH it's nearly the end of the book I'm super scared!!
I've been writing this book for hella long and it's nice that it'll be put to rest but I'm sad at the same time :(
anyways look forward to the next chapter cos it's a action packed one!