Thirty seven

It's gonna be a double upload tonight cos wehay
---
"So, what's happening now?" I hear Kirstie breathe heavily as she must be rushing around gathering her things. I slowly apply my mascara as I sit down in front of the mirror, getting ready for the fete.
"What do you mean?" I reply back, turning up my phone on loud speaker.
"I mean, between you and Brad. Are you two..."
"What? No, no of course we're not broken up. We're just hitting a rocky road, I thought that was normal."
"It is, but not with Brad. When he 'hits a rocky road' he cheats and calls for a runaway car, where he then does a hit and run on you."
I roll my eyes and slide my converse on, untucking my ripped boyfriend jeans from inside them.
"Yeah, well... We're just gonna have to get through it. Anyway, is James picking you up?"
"Qui, he is. He's probably going to be here any minute, so, we'll come round yours and pick you up?"
"No, Luke's taking me."
"I thought you were only meeting there?"
"We changed our minds. See you there." I hang up and slowly sit on my bed, clutching my bag in my hand, phone in the other. Before I know what I'm doing, my thumb is carefully hovering above the 'call Brad' button.
"Janey, your date's here!" I hear an annoying, high pitched cry come from downstairs- Matty. And did she say date?
I hurriedly stand up and rush out of my room and down the stairs, swinging my bag onto my shoulder. Luke is casually leaning against the door frame, chatting with Matty.
"Hey," I smile and Luke's face lights up when he sees me.
"Hey! Sorry I'm a little late." He apologises and I frown, glancing at my watch: 18:05. I laugh as I walk over to him. Matty walks back up the stairs.
"By five minutes? You're very efficient." I nod and shut the door behind me. "I appreciate it."
Luke's small, coal BMW is parked in the drive way, and I sigh in relief at no sign of Brad or Calum. Luke gestures for me to follow him and he kindly opens the passenger door for me when we get in.
The drive is filled with simple small talk, but it's comforting; a nice change. We arrive at the fete and it's nearly pitch black already. There's a large green field surrounded by trees where cars are parked around the edges. In the centre, there's a large sparkling Ferris wheel. There's loads of stalls and food areas about. Luke parks near the entrance and we get out. I instantly spy Kirstie and James, elegantly holding hands by a hot dog stand.
"Kirstie!" I call and she spins around, then waves to us and beckons us over.
"Hey," she smiles at Luke and I.
"Hi, Jane." James says awkwardly, and I smile at him, mentally apologising for the way I'd acted earlier.
"What do you guys want to do?" Luke asks and I shrug.
"Oh, I know!" Kirstie squeaks. She turns to James and grasps both of his hands. "I saw the cutest, huge panda bear by the basketball shootout." She wiggles her eyebrows and James rolls his eyes.
"You guys wanna come?" He asks and me and Luke share a doubtful glance.
"We're okay." I say and James and Kirstie wander off.
For the next half hour, me and Luke wander around. He buys me popcorn and candyfloss until I feel as though I'm about to burst from the food. We're standing at the coconut shy when I'm having my go. I throw a ball at the coconut and miss terribly.
"Well, shit." I laugh, embarrassed. Luke chuckles, then stands to my left and picks up another ball. He places it in my hand, but I notice how suddenly close he is. I feel his breath on my ear as he speaks.
"Think about something else whilst you aim." He mumbles and I shiver, but smile as I take a small step back. As I look over, I glance past Luke and steal a moment with Tristan Evans, Brad's mate. He frowns and storms over, pushing Luke out of the way.
"Hey!" Luke complains as he takes a step forwards. Tristan doesn't even spare him a glance. Instead, he grabs my forearm and begins to drag me in the opposite direction. Luke reaches out and takes my hand, stopping me from moving either ways. Tris looks back, nostrils flared.
"Get off you prick." He orders and Luke grimaces.
"What do you want her for?" He asks.
"Luke, I'm fine, he's Brad's friend." I reassure him and he slowly lets go of my hand, leaving Tris to drag me off and away into the busy crowds of the fete.

---