Thirty nine

Quote from my other book, Together But Apart, go give it a read. It's also BWS teehee
---
"He's a murderer." Brad cuts me off. But I wish he didn't.
"W-what?" I stammer.
"He killed Tyler." Brad says with no emotion whatsoever.
"Y-you could've told me that b-before I brought him here, with me, a-alone!" I say and my breathing speeds. I clutch the bars of the carriage and lean my head back, squeezing my eyes shut.
"Calm down, Jane. Take deep breaths." Brad whispers, then he slowly places a hand on mine. "Open your eyes." I shake my head and he moans. "Just do it."
I cautiously open them to notice we're at the top of the wheel. My lips part at the sight of glistening buildings, house lights, the sight of people gathering in one corner to see a firework display, then to see them watch in awe as the sparks explode in the air.
I'm calm.
Then Brad rubs his thumb on my hand and removes it back onto his lap.
"Are you okay?" He asks and I nod.
"I'm better, but I'm not fine."
"If if makes it any better, Luke didn't intentionally kill Tyler."
I shake my head. "No, not really." Then it clicks. "Is that what Calum wants Luke for?"
Brad nods.
"Then why would he not keep a low profile? I mean, he's at a town festival, someone's going to see."
"It's hard to explain, Jane..."
"Try?" I pressure him on.
"It's a long story. Tyler attacked me and Luke one night, the night your friends thought I was off killing people. He attacked us because he was drunk and he largely disliked us- jealousy got to him. He flicked out a gun, Luke flicked out a knife and when Tyler came at us, he practically ran into Luke's knife. Me and Luke were good friends at the time, so I said I'd take the fall and say it was me. Luke fled, I've been paying Ryan- Tyler's dad- back ever since."
Wow, that was a long story.
"Why did you do it? Take the fall for him?"
"It's what friends do." Brad shrugs and leans slowly back in the carriage.
We sit in silence for a few seconds, then another complaint popped into my head.
"But about this whole bet thing-"
"Jane, it was a stupid thing between me and Tris. We bet, like, one quid on me getting with you." Brad acts as though it's totally fine, but what the hell?
"I'm worth one quid?" I say, squinting and grabbing my bag as the ride comes to a slow stop. We're the first to get off. I quickly lift up the barrier and stand up. Brad tries to grab my hand but I swipe his away and snap at him.
"This isn't some cheesy high school musical movie where the boy always gets the girl, Brad. So unfortunately, you haven't got me."
I quickly hurry away from the ride and weave in and out of the crowds, feeling my eyes slowly fill with tears. I make it to Kirstie and James before they erupt all down my face. Kirstie frowns when she sees me.
"Are you okay? Where's Luke?"
"I just need to go home." I mumble and look at James. "Take me home?"

---