XXIX

Alice's POV

Last night had been weird between Peyton and I. I slept downstairs to give us space.

I had tested my wolf to see how she could be around him and I think it was easier to trust her in wolf form. Once we had shifted I had to fight with her more to keep control, but being around him more made her less angry, so we were coming to understandings slowly.

I also needed to be in the woods. Sitting in a tree at night is my place to be. I wouldn't be able to fight once council got here so I wanted to go tonight, assuming they don't come today. I'd have to play it by ear.

I don't work until next weekend, so I was good there.

Now just to be judged by werewolf elders at some point, meet his family, come up with a training plan and get a pack link. Typical human week.

I dressed and went for a run, blaring music, and taking off on new paths. I needed difference today.

------

Peyton's POV

I took a large breath in before letting it out. Parents.

I jogged downstairs and met them at the door. I was hoping they'd come at the end of the week. Well, hopefully council does now.

Alice was out, so at least I could have them settled before they met. She really freaked out about the daughter-in-law comment the other day. Although we did spend time together yesterday. Outside the bedroom. So that was new. I don't know if I'll ever be able to predict her moods.

I opened the door, "Hi, mom, dad."

"Hello!" My mom chirped happily, but as they came into the foyer her smile fell, "You're greeting us alone? Where is this mate we've been notified of?"

"She's out for a run. She'll probably be back soon. Why don't you put your things down and then we'll make some food for when she's back."

"You're not going to call her back? We just got here. I think we deserve a hello."

Two minutes in and I already wanted to say goodbye. "If you'd told me when you'd be here, she'd have greeted you with me. But she left for a run about an hour ago, because we had no heads-up."

"You knew we were coming."

"We aren't going to stay in the pack house for a week, waiting until you get here. We have better things to do." I struggled to keep my voice calm. Her visit was not our only priority, in fact it wasn't my priority at all. We could have skipped this.

"Stop bickering you two," my father cut in. "Let's put the bags down, dear, and then we can catch up."

I showed them to a large room on the first floor, in hopes they were as far from our room as possible.

We went to the kitchen and I made some salad, kebabs for the BBQ, and tossed some corn on the grill as well.

Beautiful, how long are you running?

Why?

My parents and I are making lunch.

There was a delay and I wished I had given her warning when they had arrived instead of waiting.

I'll be back and come down after I shower. Twenty minutes.

We're on the patio.

"She's on her way back."

"Finally." I bit my tongue as my mom continued, "I'll set the table. We might as well eat outside."

"Sure, thanks."