XII

Peyton's POV

I had been dealing with pack issues through the link while she showered until she got an overwhelming sense of pain. I walked through the door and saw her trying to wash her hair. I moved the shower curtain to the side, "Kneel."

I was calmer than when I had left the bathroom, but still concerned about her. And angry. It seemed to be a constant state around her, and I knew that needed to change. She was my mate. I should be happiest with her.

I turned her away from me as she knelt. I switched the shower head so it was the hose on the wall before soaking her hair. The water running down her long hair and beautiful body. Tracing her curves and skin.

I reached over her for the shampoo and placed some in my hands before gently massaging it into her scalp. I tilted her head back, her eyes closing. Her body was humming with the contact from my fingers.

I rinsed it out and conditioned her hair, her head erupting into tingles as my hands moved through her hair. Her wall was further down than normal, dropping slightly before she'd hold it again, but not where it normally was. It was hovering lower than normal. It was calming to know my touch alone made her this relaxed. For months I had believed she didn't feel any inkling of the mate bond, so it was nice to know she felt at least some of what I did.

I rinsed it all out before picking her up, and lifting her out of the shower. She complied and let me move her without complaint or comment, which was also unusual. I wrapped her in a towel, and tucked it into itself to hold it up before I turned her around, tilting her head back and drying her hair. I tried to be as gentle as possible, not wanting to jerk her head accidentally. I intentionally prolonged it. This was the first time she let me help her, and the first time I had a glimpse into how she felt. 

My wolf was buzzing. Her smell intoxicating and overwhelming in the small space.

Once finished, I turned her back around and placed my lips to her forehead in a gentle kiss. She flinched at the action, her wall going up slightly. Withdrawing into herself. She looked down. Had nobody ever treated her this way? Had nobody ever cared for her?

I had an overwhelming desire to bring her close. This was the first time I didn't want to lay her down and have my way with her, but rather hold her. Just enjoy her company. But there was no way she would be okay with that. And we definitely wouldn't talk.

I knew my eyes were my wolf's, not just because of our situation. The link was buzzing with praise. And my wolf was buzzing with pride that my pack already held her in the highest light. She had proven her strength, courage, and title whether she knew it or not.

"My pack wants you to join," she looked up, her eyes hardening, before I continued, "They don't know you're Luna. But they know you saved multiple wolves from being killed and did more than your part in the battle. Everyone keeps asking who you are."

She looked down, "I did what anybody else would have done."

"No. No female in my pack would have been able to do what you did. And no male would have intervened when another wolf was being outnumbered so bad." It was true. They didn't fight as a pack. It was our biggest weakness. One I had to fix.

"My scent was an advantage."

"Your skill is an advantage. You would show up my wolves at training if all the stories I've heard are true."

"Probably exaggerations, I didn't do anything that extreme."

"My pack is thankful regardless." I paused, lifting her chin, hoping she realized I was being honest, "I owe you more than I can ever repay you."