XXI

Alice's POV

I skipped training this morning and went for a run instead. I got back to an empty pack house. I showered and grabbed an orange from the kitchen. I sat on the back porch peeling it when I saw him in my peripheral handing me a cup of coffee.

I didn't like how distracted I had been by my thoughts that he had gotten that close.

"I brought you a coffee."

"Thank you."

He sat beside me on the next chair, elbows on knees, hands rubbing his face. Then he looked at me, as I looked forward, and spoke hesitantly, "I... I'm sorry for last night. I can't apologize enough." He paused in between every sentence, I knew he wasn't used to apologizing. "It shouldn't have happened. I shouldn't have drank. I shouldn't have said any of that, especially not drunk."

"You were drunk? I thought you were just a bit not sober," I said, quoting him, in a teasing voice.

He froze before a small smile escaped, "I said that."

I nodded with a small laugh, "Yes. You did."

"I was definitely drunk."

"Yes, you were."

He stared at me until I turned toward him, then he smiled, "You never use that voice unless you're on the phone."

I didn't reply, just looked back to my orange and ate another slice.

"Is that the friends you're visiting?"

I nodded, "I visit them every so often."

"That's good you keep in touch."

I nodded, "They're a fucked up bunch but they mean more to me than anything."

He didn't speak for quite a while, "They are lucky."

"For?"

He didn't reply. He didn't have to.

"I'm luckier for them."

He took a long look at me before asking if I wanted another cup.

A few seconds later he was gone to fill both our cups.

I exhaled and tipped my head back, closing my eyes. I pictured the places I had been and people I have known.

Then I pictured what I could see and where I could go.

And lastly, the land here. The people here. Him.

Every moment since I had made the mistake one night of leaving with him from the bar.

"Thank you." He handed me a warm cup and I took a deep breath in, erasing all the thoughts from my mind.

"Anytime Alice." There was so much promise in all of his words. As if everything he said was a guarantee for life.

"What happens with the old pack house from the rogues?"

"Council will tell the next Alpha whether to destroy it or keep it based on their expectations. If they keep it, the pack will redo it and scrub it all out so it doesn't smell of rogue. But that's a difficult task and a long process which is hardly ever done."

I nodded. I had gone by today and the bones of it were really solid, with a lot of potential. At least to me. Considering the places I have slept in, anything was great.

The next Alpha.

He was prepared for leaving.

I couldn't blame him. I gave no inclination to staying.