XXV

Alice's POV

I was on the road when I noticed a motorbike behind me. Peyton.

I thought he had a phone call. I pulled off and stopped at a parking lot off the main road to town.

He pulled up beside me, angry.

"I'm going to work."

"You're avoiding answering my question."

"Nothing you said was wrong. I'm fine. I just have to work."

"Something I said upset you."

I calmed and looked around, trying to think of how to word it.

"I don't know if I want to get married."

"We don't have to. My parents will mention it but they'll mention pups too, just ignore them."

"But you said daughter-in-law."

"We're mated. It's like marriage to us."

They're different. They're wolves, they get mated and accept that. I would need to choose to be with someone for life to marry them and I don't want to be someone's wife.

"Alice, we don't have to get married. Is that why you were mad?"

Marriage. Parents. Family. Council. It's all too much. I thought time away would work but it doubled in the time I was gone. "Yeah. Can I go to work now?"

He stepped closer but I turned and put him behind me, the smell hitting me and my wolf growling. "What the-"

We have company.

Rogues?

No. You should leave.

I spotted Tank and Boss round the corner of the building.

Please Peyton, leave, now.

No fucking way. Who are they?

Doesn't matter. They're harmless.

"Well bitch, we meet again." Tank. Boss needs a new wingman.

Peyton moved to take a step forward, but I put my hand on his arm, Let me handle this.

I could tell he didn't like it. "I thought we had an agreement, Boss."

The guy who gave you the nickname?

One and the same.

"Well, you had the upper hand, now I do. Although I was hoping you were going to be alone, I'm okay with some collateral."

Peyton growled again and I tightened my hold. I did not want him rushing Boss, the idiot was harmless and we didn't need to cause a scene. Especially so close to the pack house.

"Let him leave. This is between you and me."

I'm not leaving. He brought three guys to jump you.

I'm fine. Go.

He wouldn't. I already knew it. But it was worth a try, also, if Boss thought Peyton was useless, it might be a good surprise for him.

"This is between me and whoever the fuck I feel like. I offered you a peace offering-"

"You mean a job."

"And you declined."

"You have Tank here, you don't need me."

"Tank isn't very popular in some circles."

"If any."

"Fuckin bitch-" his arm showed a switchblade and I tightened my hold on Peyton, who wanted to rip these guys' heads off.