❦ Chapter 20 - Tour

*Melody*

Some weeks have passed and I've been enjoying school really well.

I've made lots of friends, especially with Tahlia who I've gotten to know really well.

We even paired up for a slot in the show together and Dad and Alice have been teaching us some moves for the show.

Miss Fleur told me I can add one more slot if I have a good idea for one, but I'll think of one later.

Right now we were at my house doing some homework before practicing our performance a bit.

"Did you find the answer for the 10th question?" I asked, looking at the biology worksheet.

Thankfully, being homeschooled in the orphanage isn't a complete loss. The tutor there is pretty good, and a lot of books kept my mind occupied. So I was actually more academically prepared than expected for going to school, and managed to catch up in Athena Heights. Of course, there are some obstacles, like algebra, but I'm managing.

"Umm," she said, looking over. "I put the parietal lobe.

I looked over as she read it to me. "See? The parietal lobe of the brain has two functions, sensory and perception."

"Oh, okay. Thanks," I said, writing it down.

"You know, don't take this the wrong way, but you're actually pretty caught up for someone who's been home schooled her entire life," she said.

I shrugged with a small smile. "The tutors in the orphanage we're achieving scholars, and since none of the other kids wanted to play for me, the library we had was at my disposal. There were a lot of encyclopedias and history books, so it occupied my mind a lot, even improved my violin playing."

"Oh," she said, then pursed her lips. "If its alright to ask... Did you ever meet your mom?"

I looked up and sighed. "Not really... She abandoned me shortly after birth. My father didn't know anything about me until she found him and told him. He adopted me and soon enough it was confirmed that I'm his daughter."

"That's crazy... I'm sorry your mom did that to you, by the way," Tahlia frowned.

I shrugged. "Its alright. Alice has become a motherly figure for me, and I'm with my dad now. I couldn't be anymore happier."

"I'm glad," Tahlia smiled at me.

We ended up looking at each other for a bit when suddenly a knock at the door made us jump.

"Come in," I called out, and Alice walked in.

"Hey girls. Just wanted to check up on you," She greeted.

"We're okay, Miss Moggs," Tahlia smiled.

"Tahlia, sweetheart, Alice is just fine," Alice smiled as she walked in, a plate of snacks in her hands. "Some snacks I made."

"Thank you," I said as we each took a cracker and dipped it in the cheese spread. There was also some fruits there for us.

"Also, Melody, your father wants to see you in the music room for a moment," she said as I placed the plate on my nightstand.

I nodded and finished my cracker as she left before getting up. "I'll be right back Tahlia," I said.

"Okay," she said as I walked out, going to the music room where my dad was organizing some music sheets.

"You wanted to see me, Father?" I asked.

He looked up and smiled a bit sadly. "Yeah," he sighed. "Come, sit down, Mel."