Chapter 37

Jackson buckles his belt as I fix my skirt and I can't help but smile. Earlier I was very irritable but now I feel relaxed. I guess I just needed him. When I turn around, he's sitting in his chair watching me. "That has always been a fantasy of mine," he smirks.

"Fucking the help on your desk?" I ask with a chuckle.

He shakes his head. "Fucking my girlfriend while she was bent over my desk."

I blush slightly as I sit on his desk. He moves the chair closer before pulling me onto his lap. My lips capture his and I find myself wanting him all over again. "Come home," I say softly.

"I can't," he says. "I have some documents that need to be finished and sent out."

"You can do it from home," I point out.

His facial expression tells me that it never crossed his mind but he shakes his head. "If I go home with you, there's a good chance I won't get any work done."

"I'll make coming home worth it when you're done," I whisper, taking his earlobe between my teeth.

As my lips travel down to his neck, I feel his hand begin rubbing against my thigh. He takes a deep breath before lifting me onto his desk and standing up. "I'll come home as soon as I'm done," he says. "I promise."

I sigh. "Fine. I guess I should go get a dress now."

He shakes his head. "Don't worry about it. I'll have my friend bring some dresses by. She'll make sure you look stunning."

I frown. "I'm paying for my own dress, Jackson."

He rolls his eyes. "If it means that much to you then you can. You can pay her once you pick a dress."

"Okay. I'll go to your place then so I don't bother Sam. Then I'll just stay with you tonight."

He smiles. "That sounds perfect. I'll see you soon."

He presses his lips to mine but I place my hand on his chest, causing him to stare at me in confusion. "I am still mad at you."

I peck his lips before sliding off the desk, intentionally rubbing my body against his. He pins me to his desk using his hips and narrows his eyes at me. "You said we were fine."

"Look, I am so happy that you want to take care of me but you had no right to do that. We should have discussed it first."

"But you would've said no," he points out.

"You're right - because that was my debt to pay off. I don't want things handed to me. I want to earn things and pay off my own debt. I want to be independent."

Taking a step back, he sits down in his chair. He glances at his watch and sighs. "Then I guess you better go find your own dress to take back to your own house."

I frown. "Don't be like that."

"Then don't be like that," he says, his eyes meeting mine. "My assistant will be back soon so you should get going."

"Jackson -"

"I'll text you later."

Grabbing my things, I quickly make my way out of the room. After closing the door behind me, I press the button for the elevator and immediately regret coming here in the first place. The sex was great but now we're both upset with each other. Maybe I overreacted but he should have asked me first.

**************************

After picking out a dress, I drop it off at the house before driving over to my parent's house. I've decided to confront them about the way they treat me. Jackson was right - things will never change if I don't say something. Thankfully their car is the only one in the driveway so I don't have to worry about Danielle ruining this too. When the door opens, my mom smiles. "Emery. I didn't know you were coming over today."

"I just wanted to stop by before turning in for the day. Where's dad?"

"In the living room. Come in," she says, opening the door a little further. "Would you like something to drink?"

"Thanks but I'm fine. I won't be here long," I say.

She follows me into the living room where my dad is watching a baseball game in his recliner. My mom sits on the arm of his chair while I sit on the couch. "How are you sweetheart?" he asks.

"I'm alright," I shrug.

"She said she needed to talk to us about something," my mom says, looking at me expectantly.

"Right," I nod, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear as my stomach churns. "Well, I want to start off by saying that I love you both no matter what and I know that you love me too... But it's obvious that Danielle is your favorite."

My mom gasps. "That's nonsense. We love you both equally."

"Every time she's around you guys forget I'm here. Like at dinner the other night," I point out. "As soon as she showed up it was all about her - even more so when she said she was pregnant. That night was supposed to be about me and Jackson but she ruined it. It was important to me."

She frowns as my dad sits up straight. "We're happy for your sister and you should be too."

I shake my head in exasperation. "Can't you be happy for me for once? I do everything I can to make sure you guys are happy and have what you need but I have never actually heard you say thank you. Do you understand how bad it hurts to be ignored by your own parents?"

Guilt fills my mother's eyes and my heart races from feeling bad about the whole situation. My dad takes a deep breath. "Sweetie, we really do love you and we appreciate all that you have done and continue to do for us. I am sorry we haven't been the greatest parents to you but I'll do my best to change that. I just hope it's not too late because I'd hate to lose you," he says.

Standing up, I cross the room and hug them both. "It's never too late."

They both press a kiss to my cheek before letting me go. Hopefully, things will only be better from now on.

**************************
Vote ★ Comment ★ Follow