Chapter 17

Jackson holds up a bra with matching panties but I shake my head. He puts it back and does it again with the set next to it and I laugh. "I'm not getting anything."

"Please. I want to spoil you."

I smile. "Just spoil me with your affection."

"Affection falls in the same category as caring. To care for you, I need to buy you things," he says.

"Why is buying me things so important to you?" I ask.

He shrugs. "It's one of the few ways to show you that I'm here for you... and also because I really want to see you wearing some of these."

I bite my lip. If it means something to him then maybe I can get just one. "Fine. Pick your favorite one and I'll get it."

Smirking, he wanders a few feet away to look some more. In the back corner is a large section of lingerie. I consider buying some but then Jackson might think I was ready to take the next step. I don't want to give him the wrong idea. Maybe another time. Before I can walk away, Jasmine appears beside me with her bag in hand. "That's cute," she says, leaning forward and checking the tag on one of the negligees.

"I kind of want one," I admit.

She smiles. "So get one."

"Not while Jackson's here. I don't want to give him the wrong idea."

She nods. "I understand. Maybe when we get back we can go shopping for one. Just the two of us."

"Sounds good," I nod.

We search for Jackson and find him at the cash register, grabbing a bag. "What are you doing?" Jasmine asks.

"Buying my beautiful girlfriend the things she deserves," he smiles.

I shake my head and take the bag. There are several matching sets in the bag - all in my size. "Should I be worried that you know my size?" I ask.

Jasmine laughs. "That's Jackson for you."

"I said you could pick one," I tell him. "There's like five -"

He presses his lips to mine, effectively shutting me up. My cheeks heat when I notice the cashier staring at us. A short moment passes as I realize she's actually staring at Jackson. "You deserve them all and more, babe. Come on."

Lacing his fingers with mine, he leads the way out of the store. We go into a couple of other stores before Jackson pulls me into a jewelry store. My eyes widen when he begins looking at rings. What the hell? I glance at Jasmine who she seems just as lost as I am. "Wait here for a second," he says.

He goes to the opposite side of the store to talk to a worker and my heart races. "What the fuck?" I breathe.

"I have no clue what this is about but I know he can be impulsive," she says. "I can't imagine he'd propose or anything. Just relax. He's probably going to get you a necklace or bracelet."

When Jackson returns, I worker asks for my hand. He puts a metal circle around my finger. "Excuse me while I check our stock," he says, walking away.

I give Jackson a questioning look. "Care to explain?"

Cupping my face with both hands, he kisses me softly. "I have high hopes for us. You're an amazing and beautiful woman and I can't believe I get to call you mine. When you were upset with me, I thought there was a possibility of losing you and it scared the hell out of me," he admits. "I should have taken you to that dinner and I regret it. You don't compare to her - you're so much more."

The worker returns with a ring in hand, causing my heart skip a beat. This is all too much for me right now. I want to cry and scream in joy at the same time. He pulls away long enough to take the ring and slip it onto my finger. "With this ring, I promise to never give up on you. I promise to be there for you and your family - no matter the time or day. I promise to listen and talk to you. I promise to respect you. I promise to spoil you with my affection," he says with a smile. "And provide you with the things you need."

I close my eyes to control my emotions but it's helpless. Sniffling, I stare up at him in awe. What did I do to deserve a man like him? "Thank you," I say softly.

He smiles. "You're welcome."

Wrapping my arms around him, I hug him tightly before kissing him. While he pays for the ring, I stare at it with a smile on my face. It's a rose gold ring, shaped like a crown with little diamonds in it. It's beautiful. Jasmine gushes over it. "It's so pretty! He has never done anything like that."

I blush. "He's everything I've ever dreamed of."

She nudges me playfully. "It's a pre-proposal."

I roll my eyes. "It's just a promise ring."

"This is more significant than you understand. He is putting effort into your relationship. Not many men do. In fact, he didn't try hard enough with Sophie which is why she left him."

I frown. "He said she lied a lot and that's why they broke up."

She curses softly. "I really shouldn't be talking to you about this. I've already overstepped. That's something the two of you should discuss, although what he told you is not a lie."

I nod. After he's finished paying, we leave the mall and go out for dinner at a local restaurant. Throughout the night, I smile whenever I see the ring on my finger. The rest of the night Jackson is especially sweet and attentive. I appreciate him putting in so much effort to mend things between us. I know he can be sweet but he does have a cold business side too. When I first met him he seemed cold but the moment we got close, he became so sweet to me. He has put in more effort than I have which is why I decide that he deserves something special. I smile as I form a plan in my mind.

**************************
Vote ★ Comment ★ Follow