Chapter 6

^ Emery's dress above ^

While I'm walking towards the dining room, I overhear Jasmine and Jackson talking in the living room. Normally I wouldn't stop and listen but I can't help myself when I hear my name. "She's pretty," she says.

"Don't start," Jackson sighs.

"What? She is."

"Yes, she is. Now drop it."

"Why?" she asks. "Do you like her?"

She sounds like a jealous girlfriend... Maybe they are together. She did say he ruined her clothes. "I'm not going to talk about this," Jackson says. "Have you gotten a dress for the masquerade ball tomorrow night?"

"No. I thought we could go shopping today."

When I hear a noise nearby, I quickly move on and continue cleaning. A couple of hours pass by and I'm just about done cleaning when Jackson enters the room. "Emery," he nods.

"Mr. Lancaster."

He narrows his eyes but decides against arguing. "I'm holding a masquerade ball tomorrow night and I'd like for you to be there. You can go shopping for a dress and mask with Jasmine."

"It'd be better to stay in. I have a lot of work to do."

"Forget about the work," he says, shaking his head. "You can have the rest of today and tomorrow off."

"I'd rather not," I admit.

He sighs. "Please come. I promise it'll be fun." I can feel myself caving in so I look away. "Please."

"Fine."

Turning towards him, I see him smiling. "Great. You and Jasmine can go dress shopping together. She already has my card. She's getting ready to go right now."

I frown. "I can pay for my own dress."

He shakes his head. "Think of it as a bonus."

"I'm paying for it," I insist.

"No."

The way he says it leaves me speechless. No. End of discussion. Clearing my throat, I straighten up to appear like I have control but I know it's worthless. "Fine."

He chuckles. "You're adorable. Jasmine will help you pick out a dress. She knows all of the perfect shops around here."

I find myself biting my lip. He reaches up, his thumb brushing my bottom lip and causing me to release it. "I should finish in here before I go," I say softly, looking away.

His hand falls and he nods. "Don't be long. Jasmine should be ready soon."

With that being said he leaves the room and I quickly finish cleaning. Once I am dressed and ready, Jasmine drives us to a store in one of Mr. Lancaster's SUV's. Just by looking through the windows I can tell that everything is going to be expensive. I'm not one to spend a lot on something so unimportant because I watched my parents struggle as a child. But I know if I don't go home with a dress I'll have to face Jackson and I'd rather not deal with him.

As soon as we step into the store I notice posters for Armani, Chanel, Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Prada. I follow Jasmine to the back of the store where I also see Fendi, Marc Jacobs, and Ralph Lauren advertisements. My heart about stops when I check the price on one of the dresses. Almost a thousand dollars! "Look around. I'll be over here," Jasmine says.

Taking a deep breath, I begin searching for the perfect dress but every time I see the price tag I can't bring myself to try it on. We've been in the store for over an hour and I have yet to find a dress. Jasmine found one easily and insists that I get a tight gold one but it's not me. After a while, she gives up on me but I continue to search. At last, I find a beautiful black gown but before I can check the tag I hear the bell ring behind me. "I hear you're being difficult."

I freeze at the sound of his voice. "She keeps checking the price tag," Jasmine says.

"They're so expensive," I say turning around. "Maybe I could look somewhere else."

Jackson shakes his head then notices the dress draped over my arm. "What about that one?"

Before I can check the price, he wraps his hand around the tag and pulls. "What are you doing?" I ask, reaching for the tag.

He slips it into his pocket. "Try it on."

Groaning in frustration, I turn on my heel and go to the fitting room. I quickly change out of my clothes and slip into the dress. It is floor-length with a v-neck and short lace sleeves. I do a small spin and smile at myself in the mirror. Once I change back into my normal clothing I go back to where Jackson and Jasmine are waiting. "I like this one," I admit.

He takes the price tag out of his pocket and whistles. "You wouldn't if you saw the price." My eyes grow wide and I begin feeling guilty, causing him to laugh. "I'm only kidding, Emery. I've spent more on a suit. Trust me, this is nothing."

We begin following him to the cash register where Jasmine stops him. "Wait. She didn't get any heels or lingerie." She turns to me and wiggles her eyebrows. "What if you meet a hot rich stud at the party? You don't want to be wearing cheap panties."

I blush, immediately shaking my head. "That won't happen. The dress will be all."

Jackson hands the cashier the tags and our dresses but I can feel his eyes on me. "Why? Are you seeing someone?" Jasmine continues.

"Well, no. But -"

"Then why not? Maybe you'll meet some kinky hunk who will show you a thing or two," Jasmine laughs and I realize she's just teasing now. "Hot sex with a stranger is great."

I shake my head in disbelief and Jackson nudges her. "Leave her alone already."

Jasmine chuckles before turning her attention to her phone. The cashier hands Jackson the receipt and I realize I didn't hear the total. It's probably for the best because if it was too high I probably would've put it back. Franklin is waiting outside but Jackson sends him away and drives us home instead. On the way home Jasmine begs him to buy her a milkshake so he buys us each one.

They bicker back and forth throughout the car ride and I can't help but watch Jackson. When his eyes catch mine in the rearview mirror, he holds my gaze before turning his attention back to the road. As I stare out my window, I realize how different he is from any other man I've met. I'm just not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

**************************
Vote ★ Comment ★ Follow