Chapter 18

Our trip is over far too soon and before I know it, we're on the plane back home. We got up extra early this morning to be tourists. Now we're each wearing Florida shirts and have key chains and other souvenirs. I am completely exhausted. When we got onto the plane, I sat on Jackson's lap and curled up into a ball. But that only lead to us making out so I returned to my seat beside him after a while.

Now I am leaning my head against his shoulder, trying to fall asleep but I can't. For some reason every time I close my eyes I get an unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach. Jasmine is asleep across from us and I can't help but be jealous. I notice the glint from my ring on my left hand and smile. People will get the wrong idea when they see it but it lets people know that I am taken and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Jackson kisses my forehead before excusing himself to use the restroom. I check the time to see how much longer we have until we land. An hour. Sighing, I lean back in my seat and wait for Jackson to return. When he finally returns to his seat, I turn to him. "Can we go to bed when we get home?" I ask.

"Of course. Try and get some sleep now."

I shake my head. "I can't."

"Come here," he says, opening his arms.

I stand up and sit on his lap. He wraps his arms around me and plants a soft kiss on my lips. "I had fun," I tell him.

He smiles. "I'm glad. We'll take more trips like this. I want to show you the world."

I lay my head against his shoulder. "I can't wait."

We both sit in silence until we land. There is an SUV waiting for us when we arrive and I realize it's Fraklin. He smiles at us when we reach the car. "How was your trip, Mr. Lancaster?"

"Incredible," Jackson smiles.

"Emery," he nods. "The sun seems to agree with you."

I smile. "Thanks, Franklin."

He opens the car door and I get in. I hear Franklin greeting Jasmine just before he shuts the door behind Jackson. Since I haven't really checked my phone while we were in Florida, I decide to turn it on now. When the screen lights up, it begins vibrating and my eyes widen when I see all my missed calls and texts. Franklin and Jasmine get in the car as I begin reading the texts.

Mom had a heart attack. Please call.

She's in room 369.

Tears fall from my eyes. The texts were from late last night and I didn't see them until just now. I read the last one as the car begins moving.

Look, I know we aren't on the best terms but she's our mother. It'd be nice if you could at least act like you cared.

I sob, gaining everyone's attention. Of course, she's going to make me the bad guy. "What's wrong?" Jackson asks worriedly.

"Can you please take me to the hospital?" I ask Franklin.

Looking at me through the rearview mirror, he nods. Jackson takes my phone and reads the texts. "Baby, I know you're upset but they won't let you see her tonight. Let's go home and get some rest. I'll make sure you're at the hospital tomorrow morning as soon as the visiting hours begin."

Hesitantly, I nod. Pulling me against his chest, he tells Franklin to take us home. After a while, I manage to stop crying. When we get home, Jackson leads me up to his room. "I need clothes," I say.

"I'll get you some. Get in the shower."

He walks away and I go into his bathroom. I reach in and turn the water on before taking off my clothes. Stepping into the shower, I cover my face with my hands as the water rains over me. I should have checked my phone. It is unlike me to forget to check in with my parents but with everything going on with Danielle and the fact that I was in Florida, it completely slipped my mind. I'm a horrible daughter.

Once I'm finished, I wrap a towel around my body before grabbing another for my hair. I begin drying my hair as I go into the bedroom. Jackson has already showered and is wearing a pair of shorts. "I showered in one of the guest bathrooms," he says, answering my unspoken question.

I nod and walk towards him, noticing the clothes he has picked for me. There's a clean pair of panties and one of his white button-ups. Keeping my towel around me, I step into the panties and pull them up before dropping my towel. I pull his shirt on and begin buttoning it but he takes over. "Thank you."

He leaves the top few undone then grasps my thighs, pulling me down on him. I sit with my legs astride him and my hands on his shoulders. "You're welcome. Get some sleep and I'll wake you up in the morning."

I frown. "You're not staying?"

"I have to make a couple calls before I come to bed. I won't be more than twenty minutes."

"Okay," I say softly.

My hands slide up to his neck and to the back of his head. After pressing a kiss to his lips, he stands up with me in his arms. He pulls back the covers before laying me down. Pulling the blankets up, he kisses my forehead. "Goodnight, babe. I'll be back before you know it."

"Goodnight."

I watch as he turns the light off and closes the door behind him. Being left alone with my thoughts is so painful. I can't even imagine what my parents are thinking or what Danielle has told them. We used to be so close but we've drifted as we got older. Now the hate I feel for her has replaced all the love I've ever felt for her but she is the least of my worries right now. This is about my mom. She's a strong woman and I know she can get through this.

**************************
Vote ★ Comment ★ Follow