Chapter 22

Since I still have a while until I have to meet Jennifer at the house, I decide to check out a few of the places that are hiring. The first place is too far of a drive so I decided to cross it off the list. The second place is looking for a personal assistant and it looks like a decent building so I go in for an application. The third and final place is an expensive restaurant that is looking for a waitress but the pay is decent so I get an application for there too. Lastly, I stop at an ATM to get the money just in case they want to finalize everything today.

When I arrive at the house, I see a short blonde woman standing outside. I fix my skirt then grab my purse before walking towards her. She smiles warmly at me. "You must me Emery. I'm Jennifer."

I shake her hand. "It's nice to meet you."

"You too," she responds. "The owner's name is Samantha but everyone calls her Sam. She rents the room out for a little extra cash along with some help on the bills. She's is a great person and has quite a sense of humor."

"She sounds great," I smile.

"Good. Let me show you around."

We go through the front door which leads us to the living room. The house has an open concept so behind the living room is the dining area and beyond that is the kitchen. The furniture and appliances are all in excellent condition and there's a large flat screen hanging on the wall. "The floors are wooden throughout the house," she says. "The kitchen has everything you'll need in it so there's no need to go out and but anything. Just use the items with care and wash the dishes when you're done. Since this is a shared space, you both will clean up after yourselves all the time."

"Okay," I nod.

She leads me to the kitchen where I get a better look at the stainless steel appliances. There's an island in the center with three bar stools. She points out the bathroom just off of the kitchen before taking me into the bedroom I would be using. It's relatively large and the bathroom in nice. Plus there's a medium sized walk in closet. "The house was built for roommates because they used it for college kids but they sold it when they bought buildings closer to campus."

"It's nice. I really like it," I say, looking out the window.

"I'll go get Sam."

She leaves the room and I smile. This is exactly what I need. It's perfect. And I think Jackson will approve when he sees it. I wander out of the room to the kitchen where I sit on a bar stool and place my purse on the island. When Sam comes out, I take a moment to look her over. She's a small brunette with beautiful green eyes. She's very pretty. I stand up and shake her hand. "I'm Emery. It's nice to meet you."

"Sam," she smiles. "Since we don't know each other, I am going to ask you to take over Jennifer's lease which is valid for another two months. Then if everything works out, we can renew it when the time comes."

"That sounds great. I'll take it," I smile.

Jennifer grins. "I told you I'd find someone."

Sam rolls her eyes. "If you have the money we can sign the papers now."

I nod. "That's perfect."

Jennifer hands Sam some papers and a pen while I grab my wallet from my purse. I take out the correct amount and place it on the island. "You can read it but we've discussed everything in it," Jennifer says.

I scan over it to make sure nothing odd stands out before taking the pen. "Just sign here," Sam points. "And here. Then initial here."

After doing so, she collects the papers and money then shakes my hand. "Welcome to the neighborhood," she smiles. "Jennifer will give you your key but I have to go before I'm late for work."

I thank her once more and take my key from Jennifer before heading outside. As I begin driving, I wonder if I should call and tell Jackson but I he's probably busy so I decide to let him call me first. Returning to the house, I make myself a quick sandwich for lunch then begin filling out the applications. When I write the date down, I realize that today is when my parents rent is due. I call their landlord to see when I good time to drop it off would be. "Hello?"

"Hey, it's Emery. I just realized what today was. When could I drop rent off?"

"The rent has already been paid, honey. A man deposited it for you."

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "Do you remember his name?"

"I don't remember but he said he was your boyfriend."

"Okay. Thanks."

What am I going to do with him? I don't expect him to keep spending all of this money on me and I'm not sure that I like it. Obviously, he has enough money, so that's not an issue, but when he does these things it's like he's buying me. He has paid for my clothes, food, and gave me shelter but he has also paid my mother's hospital bills and is now paying her rent. I will always feel like I owe him because of it. This is definitely something we need to discuss.

After filling out the applications, I clean up around the house a little bit. When I reach the top of the stairs, I glance at Jackson's room. There's no point in staying here since he's not home so I'll start packing tonight then I can sleep at my new place tomorrow night. I'll need some help though and the only person I can think of is Liam. I could hire help but I've been spending a lot of money lately. Money is tight but that's why I'm getting a job.

**************************
Vote ★ Comment ★ Follow