Chapter 1

It's been two months of working for this rich man, and I've never met him but Marilyn - an older woman who is the house chef - says he'll be back tonight. I'm kind of nervous to be meeting such a rich and powerful man but he's my boss and the meeting is long overdue.

When I got the job, I was ecstatic. Growing up, my sister and I didn't get the luxuries most of the other kids did. I didn't mind though. My parents provided us with everything we needed - a roof over our heads, food, and enough clothing to get us through the week. It wasn't the best but it was do-able.

Now I'm living in a mansion. Last year, if someone would've told me I'd be living here today, I would have laughed in their face. As a child, I read books - I fantasized about living in their worlds. But when I hit middle school, the books were just books and I had to watch reality go by.

So as a kid, I matured earlier than the other kids. I didn't have the privileges they did so I was different. Again, I didn't mind. It made me who I am today. It got me to where I am - in a mansion. And although it's not mine, I am content with my life.

Wearing a cliché French maids uniform, I continue cleaning the living room. When I finish, I go into Mr. Lancaster's office. That's when I realize he's already home. "I -"

He holds up his finger, cutting my apology short. His eyes never leave mine as he finishes his call. "Send over the files. I'll look them over and get back to you tomorrow morning."

After hanging up, he leans back in his chair. He finally allows his eyes to rake over my body slowly. A faint smile plays on his lips as he traces his bottom lip lightly. "I apologize, Mr. Lancaster. I wasn't aware you were home yet," I say softly.

"Don't worry about it," he shrugs. "You must be Emery. I'm Jackson Lancaster. It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

"You too," I reply with a polite smile.

"I apologize for not being available to meet you sooner. I'm sure you understand, I have a very busy schedule."

"Of course, sir," I nod. "Would you like me to come back later to clean in here?"

Looking around, he shakes his head. "You can skip this room today. I can tell you've been doing your job like you should. The last woman half-assed it," he sighs.

His green eyes flicker to my brown ones. The brown hair on his head is kind of short, but long enough to fall slightly over his forehead. It's messy but in a cute kind of way.

Oh my gosh. Did I really just say my boss was cute?

Blushing slightly, I grip the basket of cleaning supplies in my hand a little tighter. "I'm glad I could help," I say quickly. "Have a nice day, Mr. Lancaster."

"You too, Emery."

Shaking my head, I make my way to the dining room. I set the basket on the floor and pull out the appropriate cleaner for the table. Just as I finish spraying, Marilyn joins me in the room. Her red hair is always pulled back into a nice bun and she usually wears a white blouse tucked into a long skirt. "Mr. Lancaster is home. Would you like to meet him?" she asks.

Placing the towel on the table, I begin wiping it. "Actually, I ran into him already. He's in his office."

She beams happily. "Oh, how lovely. He's so darling. Ever since I've started working here, I've treated him like a son. I absolutely love that boy as if he were really my own son."

I nod, continuing to wipe down the table. "How long have you worked here?"

"His father hired me when he was born. He wanted some helping hands for his wife when needed," she explains. "So when he got home from the hospital, I got to meet that handsome little devil."